1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

05 Duramax

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by dmcenery, Dec 16, 2005.

1. dmcenery

dmcenery Member

Hello Everyone, I have a 2005 3500 srw with the duramax and 5 speed allison trans. The truck does not seem to want to go over 10 m.p.h. in reverse. Is this common with this set up? Please let me know your thoughts.

2. Rodd1

Rodd1 Member

Yes its common with the duramax my buddy has one the old 5 speeds are the same way just the reverse gear is low

3. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

Same here I'm used to firing it in reverse with our '96, but now I have to watch the redline. 4 speed auto

4. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

4 speed auto, with which motor?

5. heather lawn spray

Sorry

Assumed all would understand 2005 6.6 Duramax hooked to the 4 speed Allison
    1996 6.5 Turbo-diesel same basic configuration as 2005 otherwise

6. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

What four speed Allison? I think the Allison 1000 is a five speed. They may not all show up on the gear selector indicator, but I'm pretty sure it still has all five gears.
    How do you know how fast you are going, does the speedo work in reverse? I must admit I've never looked at my speedometer when backing up. The Allison 1000 is a 20k GVW truck transmission, built for and geared for medium duty commercial trucks, where backing up fast is not a consideration. My 97 6.5 backs up faster than I need it too, but sometimes I use 4 low and I notice the slow reversing. I can imagine that if it were like that all the time it would be irritating. I guess it's just something you will have to get used to, don't see how you could change it. By the way, you said you have a 2005 3500 SRW, can you tell me what is different between that and a 2500HD? I've been wondering ever since they started making 3500 SRWs again.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2005
  7. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

The Allison on the 2005 is a 5 speed. Your engine is the LLY, and the new engine, the LBZ, is paired with a new 6 Speed Allison.

8. dmcenery

dmcenery Member

3500 vs. 2500 H.D.

Detroit, The 3500 SRW is rated at 9,900 gvw vs. 9,200 gvw for the 2500 H.D. You get more springs in the rear and 265 tires as opposed to the 245 that come with the H.D. Those are the only differences that I know of. The frame and front end rating of 4,800# are the same for both trucks. I was told that chevy started making the 3500 SRW to be able to compete with the F-350 on municipal bid contracts asking for a 9,900 gvw truck. Hope that helps.

9. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

yep, that explains a lot. I know a see a whole lot of F350s out there being used commercially, I always thought it was because they are so cheap. Never understood how anyone could keep buying them after they find out what a POS they are. I bet the 2500HD even with the 9200 GVWR will do more than the Ford with their grossly inflated numbers.

10. 05DURAMAX

05DURAMAX Junior Member

Ford does tend to over rate their trucks. My dads 01 ford dually is 11,500 gvw, the same truck for 05 is 13,000, Ford hasnt changed axles, frame, springs etc. Before I bought by 05 2500HD I had an 05 F350 with the V10. The Ford was rated at 10,700 gvw. My 2500HD seems to carry more weight without sagging like the Ford did with the same weight.

Going back to the orgininal question, both the torqshift and the allision 5 speed have the same ratios except in reverse. The allison has a much lower gear in reverse. The downside is its slow, esp when plowing, however you have a much less risk of burning up the transmission.

11. heather lawn spray

So. . . . it is a five speed, it just doesn't show on the shifter which has only D321?

12. GetMore

GetMore Senior Member

Heather Lawn Spray, that is correct, the older Allison is a five speed, but just shows D321.
    Detroitdan, yes the speedometer works in reverse. All vehicles use electronic senders now, and they use a toothed wheel on the output shaft and a sensor in the case that sends so many pulses per mile to the computer or speedometer. Forward or reverse doesn't mean anything to the sensor in this configuration.
    This also means that you put miles on the odometer in reverse too.

13. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

D is OD......if you want to lock it out and keep it in 1-4 you can hold the TH button for a few sec and the little OD with a / through it will pop up on the dash in the 03-05. You have to wore a switch in the 01-02s to lock out overdrive and keep it in 4th(1:1 ratio)

I have never found revers to be geared to low......if I am going to be backing that far of a difference I genneraly rethink my approach.

14. heather lawn spray

Ratlover

I'm still confused
    yes found the TH button at the end of the stalk... no problem
    how do you get five speeds out of D 3 2 1?
    Does D double for OD also but locks out OD with the TH switch?

in regards to high speed reversing. We get into some looong alley way projects (10 interlocking alleys in one Utility works site). The snow has to be pumped to the end of each alley

Last edited: Dec 20, 2005
  15. BigBurban

BigBurban Member

To lock out "OD" hold the T/H button for a few seconds and a light should indicate that "OD" is off on your dash.

16. KingDuramax

KingDuramax Senior Member

17. ratlover

from IL

D is for gears 1-5, 5 being OD. To get it into 4th gear you need to either hold the TH button for a few seconds on the 03+ 5 speed trucks or do some wiring on the 01-02 trucks. the 6 speed allison trucks use a little tap switch on the gear selector lever to move between 1-6 because there would be too much movement in the lever to get to all the positions.

18. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

not to go off topic. but ratlover, did you get a new truck yet?

19. ratlover

from IL

yup.....need to update my sig :eek:

20. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

lets see some pic's pal!!!