1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

05 Dodge Ram woes

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Plow Dude, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Plow Dude

Plow Dude Senior Member

I bought my Ram new and have a lot of problems with it and it only has just over 50,000 miles on it. Thank god its still on warrenty. Just a couple weeks ago a brought it in because it was shaking over 45mph and they replaced all the ujoints and it was still vibrating when I left the dealership, so I took it back and they replaced the driveshaft. One time I was sitting idle and there was a HUGE explosion in the engine. The airconditioning line to the accumulator blew up and had to be replaced and they recharged the system. I even had to replace the wiring harness for the trailer lights. Replaced both exhaust manifolds, cylinder heads, and heat shields. Replaced both front shocks and stabilizer bar. 4x4 indicator light stoped coming on when engaged, fixed that. I'm sure there are other things that I can't even remember.
    Also, my clear coat has been coming off on the doors and is starting to rust bad in one spot. As much as I keep it clean, I can't avoid the rust cause the clear coat is gone. Sucks.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
  2. sailscall01

sailscall01 Member

I've had a lot of problems with mine too. I have a '05 2500 HD Quad Cab with the Plow Package. Truck only has 21,000 miles on it now, bought it with 90 miles on it.. I took it two different dealerships and it was never fixed correctly. The first problem, that annoys me, is every time I drive on really bumpy road surfaces I hear a squeak in the front right wheel area. Sounds like a little mouse..(yes I did look for a mouse) The service department apparently replaced the sway bar bushings. I even took the service manager for a ride to diagnose it.. He heard it then when I went to have it fixed he said he couldn't diagnose it.. Said he greased the bushing and tightened them..

Second thing is my driver side back break light keeps burning out. Had that fixed once before..

Third thing is my intermit wipers don't work correctly. When I push the wipers to clean my windshield, it gets stuck.. :realmad::cry::gunsfiring: Had that fixed before too..

I think the real problem is the quality of people the dealerships have working on the cars and trucks, in my case.. Everytime I take the car to the Dodge dealership for warrenty work, no problem is fixed.. :realmad:

I'll bet a season of plowing that once the warrenty is out and I have to pay for the problems, they'll get fixed

Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
  3. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

My '05 needed a new stabilizer @ 15,000 & then just got new ball joints @ 60,000. All under warranty.

4. jrush

jrush Member
    from ct

I bought my Ram with the 7/70 warranty, I only got 3k left on it, and I gotta tell ya, I'm nervous as hell. I even checked to see if they offer extended warranties, they do not on the 7/70. (wonder why they only did that for 2 years) I truly love my truck,but in all honesty have little faith in it. If I added up every vehicle I've owned it would'nt cost as much as this truck would've had it not been for the warranty. The trani went this summer and it took over a week to fix. Being down a truck is big $$$, unfortunately they don't hold their value so I can't even get a deal on a trade in. On another note, why are work trucks so expensive? I could lease a new Benz for less than the payments on a truck thats going to get beat.

5. dakotasrock

dakotasrock Senior Member
    from MN

is this only on the 05's? That was the first year of the new body style, correct?

6. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

no the 2003's where the first year of the new body in the 2500 and 3500 trucks

7. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

Either I am lucky or the 2004's have better quality. I bought mine used with 32,000 miles on it. I had to change out the balljoints at 40,000 but thats it. I am very impressed how well the truck holds up while plowing (trans temp rarely hits 160 degrees) and would not hesitate to buy another dodge. I wanted to look for a 5.9 Diesel, but with Diesel at .40-.50cents more per gallon, I just can't justify it.

However, I have had vehicles in the past that gave me problems, so I can understand your frustration.

8. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

You guys are scaring me a little :(. My truck only has 16,000 miles on it and havent had any issues at all, yet. Seems to be a solid truck though. My other Dodge was a 99' 2500 V8 I bought new in 98' and that didnt have any problems other than poor gas mileage and a rear main seal that didnt like staying in place :gunsfiring: :gunsfiring:.

Best truck ever, 98' chev 2500 extended cab short box with the 5.7. Those trucks are great, for a gas truck anyway. 120K on the one I drove, plowed all its life and pulled heavy trailers every day. The only problem was a dead battery and a couple sets of brakes.

9. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

im starting to get a little scared also with my 07:(, it seems like it should hold up better than my 2001, which has been a very good truck 140k miles with plowing in the winter and pulling trailers in the summer. I think these are just rare problems that only happen to a small % of owners.:dizzy:

10. TL697

TL697 Senior Member

I have nothing but good things to say about my '05. Maybe I'm lucky...

It's a 2005 2500 HD Quad Cab Longbed. I bought it new in FL. I pull a 12,000 lb trailer every other day.

I guess the only complaint I have is the "thin" skin... You look at it wrong, and it gets another ding...

11. BlueRam2500

BlueRam2500 Senior Member

Mine has had its share of issues, but knock on wood, they have not been major stuff. My ball joints, u joints, etc.. went out at 66k and I replaced them with the Moog stuff. Fuel pump went out at 68k and I replaced it with a FASS system. I take really good care of my truck, so hopefully I will get more trouble-free miles out of it. I toyed with the idea of getting a new one in the spring, but why do that when I replaced all the stock crappy parts with better ones. Besides, the new trucks similarly equipped to mine are close to $50k!!!

12. hddude1

hddude1 Member
    from iowa

My 05 Dodge Ram only has 6k on it , not really broke in yet, but no problems. My problems maybe yet to come?? First sign of problems and it will be sitting on the used car lot and I'll be driving something new!

13. niv

niv Member
    from midwest

Yes the 04's are just as bad,loved the truck but still scared me ,one problem I did have was the sterring gear box had a leak and was around 1000 to fix the truck had40,000miles but the part not covered because it was not internally lubricated.Ball joints,u joints,driveshafts and poor tire wear,wipers I better stop!!