1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

'05 dodge ram 2500 /blizzard install question

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by ed salvatore, Nov 20, 2005.

1. ed salvatore

ed salvatore Member
    from boston

Just had Ford dealership install a new 800. I noticed that the (truck side attachment piece) driver's side "dog leg", runs high upwards following the frame rail, and bolts to the inside of the frame rail. It has only one large bolt into the inside of the frame rail(w/out a washer). I can't see, but believe there is a nut on it inside the frame rail, I don't think it would be self tapping. This "dog leg" also has a "shoulder" or "shelf" formed into it to sit just under the frame rail but is not touching the frame rail. I can even slide part of my hand into the space between the "shelf" and the bottom of the frame rail. The other side dog leg, and "shoulder/shelf", appears to fit in up nice and tight under the frame rail on that side of the truck.

Is this natural for the Dodge fit? I couldn't budge the bolt loose to attempt to put in a washer or try to reposition the dog leg so that it might sit in flush under the frame rail.

Could any other Dodge owners or installers comment on their attachment position and its fit? Appreciate it.

Ed
    Boston

2. rtm038

rtm038 Senior Member
    from NJ

I had an 810 on my 2004, which probably shares the same frame as your 2005. If memory serves me, the drivers side thrust/lateral support (a.k.a. "dog leg") arm should be positioned so that its flush with the frame rail. In other words, the "shelf", which is a piece of angle iron welded to the end of the bracket, should be up against the side and bottom of the frame rail. Since the hole has already been drilled in your frame, if the gap worries you, a piece of thin flat stock could be added to the inside of the angle iron, which would take up the gap. And yes, if the 2004 & 2005 frames are the same, a nut and bolt is used to attach the arm to the frame. However, I remember that mine was reversed from yours. On mine, a bolt with a long rod welded to the bolt head, was fed up the frame rail, then through the bracket, followed up by a locking nut.

Hope this helps,
    Ryan

3. paulsauto

paulsauto Member

I have installed several 810s on 2005 and 2004 dodges. I have noticed the left support bracket not resting on shelf. I haven't seen this cause a problem. There is a nut and washer inside the frame attached to a long rod fished through the frame.