1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

05 Dodge Ram 1500; rear ABS only; Any problems?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by PA-plow-at-home, Mar 20, 2007.

1. PA-plow-at-home

PA-plow-at-home Member

I'm considering buying a used 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 (4x4, Sport, reg cab, short bed) that has a Western plow with Ultramount already on it.

The window sticker info, and info from the Dodge dealer (same dealer that sold it new) shows that this particular vehicle has rear anti-lock brakes only; No front anti-lock brakes.

My Question:
    Do any of you see any problem with using a vehicle such as this, with no front anti-lock brakes, for purposes of plowing and driving on snow?
    I would drive the vehicle daily, and plow only my driveway. but my driveway is 300+ feet long, and inclined. My other cars have 4-wheel ABS brakes, and they have winter tires on them. And even those cars experience some triggering of the front anti-lock brakes when nearing the bottom of my driveway.
    Wouldn't this Dodge truck have some problems without front anti-lock brakes?
  2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Nope, no problems at all.
    I live in a very hilly city and I seldom feel the anti-lock.

But seriously, consider getting a 2500 that has never plowed instead of the 1500. ...jmo...
  3. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

A 1500 for 1 driveway (yours) is just fine! if you want to do a Walmart parking lot then get a biger truck.
  4. PA-plow-at-home

PA-plow-at-home Member

When I played with the plow a little (lifting it up with the handheld control), I noticed that the front end of the truck sank down a lot. I didn't measure it, but based on what I could determine from inside the truck, I think the front end must have lowered at least 3-6+ inches; or maybe more. I asked the dealership about it, and they called the shop that did the plow installation. The plow installer allegedly told the dealership that Timbrens are not needed in front; they might only be needed in the rear. Based on what I've read on this website, I'd say the plow installer was wrong. So if I bought the truck, can I have Timbrens installed on it? I didn't see Timbrens listed for the front of this vehicle in the various websites that sell them.

I don't need a plow as big as the one thats one this truck, and I agree that a Ram 2500 would be better with such a large plow.
    I probably only need a Western Suburbanite sized plow, but I like almost everything about the truck (except the lack of front ABS and the lack of a rear defroster), and the fact that the plow is already on it would make the whole purchase a lot easier.
  5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

You don't need a rear defroster if you keep the windows clean.

The ABS system works just fine.:nod:
    Hint, you do not want ABS in snow or ice conditions.
    Abs does NOT shorten stopping distances.:nono:
    Abs is dangerous on a heavily loaded vehicle that is going down hill and wants to stop.
    You guessed it the wheels never stop.

Yes, you can get timbrens for the 1500.
    You could install heaver springs on the front also.
    Yes, the installer is full-of-it..:;) ..
    It may be easer to buy a truck with a plow already installed on it but it will be harder to maintain.

Don't buy the first truck you see:nono: there will be allot of plow trucks for sale latter in the spring.
  6. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

7. Mark in MD

Mark in MD Member

Just thought I'd throw in my two cents. My old truck had no ABS, and I, too, plowed steep driveways which went down and ended in a T at a narrow road with blind curves carrying people who like to drive too fast. Just put it in L4 and don't even touch the brake until you have to stop. Let your engine do the braking. It's easy to stop when you're only traveling at walking speed. I never had a problem stopping using this method.
  8. KLC99

KLC99 Senior Member

Keep it in 4wd on the snow and you'll get 4 wheel braking. In 2wd the fronts will lock up on slippery surfaces, just be ready for it and pump.