1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

05 cummins- injector pump help

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by turbo5560, Mar 24, 2011.

1. turbo5560

turbo5560 Senior Member

looks like i have to replace my injector pump, it's not shot, but it leaks. I'll drive the truck for awhile and then park it and come back an hour later and a softball size puddle of fuel under the truck. I think it just needs seals, but there is no seal kit made for it, does anyone know of a company that will put seals in it? Otherwise it's $650ish for a used one, $1,100 for a reman, and $2,200 for a new one.... plus labor. any help would be great!
  2. lotec25

lotec25 Member
    from Florida

There are alot of places that should be able to replace the seals on it, But i would give cummins a call, They usually have those parts, Ill find a link for the places i know that do the rebuilds.
  3. MrPLow2011

MrPLow2011 Senior Member
    from Boston

Umm how do you know its the pump? Have it looked at by a diesel repair shop. Could just be a high pressure line with a pin hole leak

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

I would bet the injector pump is OK and there is an issue with the fuel delivery system. You have a line which has chafed against metal causing a small leak or a compression fitting which has failed and or split in half.

Clean the engine and determine where the leak is comming from and go from there. Have an experienced Cummins mechanic have a peak at her and let us know.
  5. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Does the truck run fine? I'm almost positive that it's not a high pressure leak, if it was you would know.

My guess is a leak on the LP side, or even the FCA (Fuel Control Actuator, Inlet Metering Valve, etc).
  6. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

7. MrPLow2011

MrPLow2011 Senior Member
    from Boston

How much white smoke is pouring out of it? Keep in mind white smoke on a diesel is alot worse than black. So dont wait around to get this fixed.
  8. turbo5560

turbo5560 Senior Member

no white smoke at all. just a leak on the ground after it sits for a while. I took some cleaner and cleaned all the fuel residue off the pump and ran it for an hour and it was saturated again. I took it to a mechanic and thats what they thought it was.... truck runs fine.
  9. MrPLow2011

MrPLow2011 Senior Member
    from Boston

I would post this on DTR. They can really help you