1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

05 Cummins 3500

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Stik208, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

Looking at a few new vehicles the Colorado is not large enough for the fam. I have come across this 05 1 ton Cummins. It has 116k on it and Fisher plates. Would you guys have any reservations about it or should I go for it. Clean carfax 1 owner. Any known issues of the 5.9 in the 05 year?
  2. GMC99

GMC99 Senior Member
    from 60188

Thats a bullet proof truck, they will run forever and get great gas mileage! I have a 2003 with 225,000 miles on it and it runs like its new. Just like all Dodges there known for eating front u-joints, but I would have to assume with the miles that truck has on it they've all been done before. They will push or pull a house over!

Just FYI, my truck has been used and abused its whole life, and the only thing Ive ever had to do to the motor was a water pump. Even still has the original trans which has never been touched besides maintenance.
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  3. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  4. GMC99

GMC99 Senior Member
    from 60188

Gorgeous truck almost identical to mine... As with any truck thats been a plow truck theres always that worry.. But from my experience somebody that plows with a newer truck chances are have taken very good care of it... If the interior is clean, and its not beat up (no dents in the bumpers, or dings etc.) then it was probably somebodys personal truck as well, and has probably been well cared for... If it were me, I would have the dealer check the front end over a 100% before you buy it, check and see how clean the fluids are (trans, oil, antifreeze) if they look dirty then it probably hasnt been maintained the best.
  5. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

Looks pretty nice, 05 was a pretty good year your only worry would be injectors but that is almost on every diesel. That price is decent and who knows maybe you can beat them up for a little less. If that is the truck your looking for go for it!.

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

check for codes. put key in on off on off on. look at the odometre and and if anything comes up ask or look it up online. P#### give you an idea if any issues.
  7. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

some 05's had plastic intercooler ends, which were not that great. the auto's dont lock out od like the 06 and 07 5.9's. check the front control arms, if they beat the crap out of it plowing they will bend.
  8. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Looks like a nice rig. I wish mine was an 05 due to the interior being much nicer in my opinion. Being a 3500 wouldnt be much of a selling feature for me.

Check engine hours by pushing and holding the trip button and turn the key to the aux possition (how button for 10 seconds).

Good luck with it.
  9. skidooer

skidooer Senior Member

looks like a clean truck and a good price. looks in need of a serious wheeling out to get rid of the fine line swirls in the clear coat,should get the dealer to take care of that.
  10. MrPLow2011

MrPLow2011 Senior Member
    from Boston