1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

05 Chevy strobe install is done

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by flykelley, Sep 3, 2005.

1. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Okj Guy's
    Here are the picture's. I am still waiting to do the drivers side headlight. I have the cable run but want to see if I like the location of the hole on the right side. I will test it tonight when it gets dark.

Regards Mike

2. flykelley

here are the pictures

05 truck strobe install 010 resize switch.jpg

3. flykelley

floor pan picture

05 floorpan resized.jpg

4. flykelley

here are the taillights

05 strobe tailight resize.jpg

5. flykelley

The power pack

05 power pack resized.jpg

6. flykelley

headlight but in between flash's

05 headlight resized.jpg

7. flykelley

Ok Guys here are some lesson's I learned from this.
    1- Run all of your cable in the split flex before you install them( I only did this once) :cry:
    2- The hardest part is figuring out where to drill your holes for the headlights and taillights.
    3-Have lots of ban tie's
    4- Run your main power source from the battery both pos and neg wire of the right size with a fuse at the battery.
    5-Try and have everything you need before you start, will save you some headaches.
    6- Use weather tight connectors everywhere you have a connection, both inside and outside the cab. That salt is bad.
    7- Have a great place like plowsite to ask for help.

To everybody who help me THANK YOU. :drinkup:
    To Bad Luck & Ratlover again thanks for helping me and everybody on this site.

Regards Mike

8. CamLand

CamLand Senior Member

Mike,good job i'm sure that takes a good day to get everything installed.LMK how much you can do mine for..lol..I'm looking forward to the night pictures...

9. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

thats awesome mike.

that truck is even better though!

10. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

Mike:

Thanks for some good advice. I'm probably going to install strobes on my GMC so I'm printing your thread so I don't lose some valuable info. :)

11. JRKRACE

JRKRACE Senior Member

You forgot the ample supply of ice cold Corona's..... :drinkup:

12. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Mike - Looks awesome man!!! :nod:

Glad to see you used some silicone where you drilled the floor. I was with a friend of mine this weekend and the bozo didn't use silicone or wire loom!! :dizzy:

Question: Are you happy with the way it turned out?

13. flykelley

Yes Bad Luck,
    I'm very happy with the way it turned out. My last plow truck I paid alot more to have someone do it for me. Yes it took a little longer but my install is alot cleaner I think. As you can see I used wire loom everywhere, where as he did not. I also cut the cables to the correct length where he just rolled the extra cable up behind the seat.
    I also used silicone on the plugs in the taillights and headlights where he didn't. I also used die electric in the plugs. I like to do things right. I also am very happy with the way my switch's came out, alot of work to fab that plate and get it powered coated. Then have to fish the wires up under the headliner.
    But I do have one small advantage working at the GM Truck Plant. I went back to the trim area and watched how the put the inside in.
    Next week I will be putting a set of factory cab lights on and of course a new 8'6'' Boss. Then the backrack will go on and I will be ready for winter. Today I also ran all of the wiring for my salt spreader.

Regards Mike

14. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Good stuff man, good stuff.

Good luck with the new setup!

15. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Just wondering, I ran my power from a 15 AMP fuse in my fuse panel, what do you think will happen if the power supply is powered from the fuse panel vs. right from the battery. Ground is simple, don't think that has to got to battery but power is where I'm alittle concerned.

Thanks

16. flykelley

Eyesell
    1- Power must be feed from the battery along with the ground all the way back to the neg post. I tried to ground it ti the truck frame but it would not work. After a couple of calls to Whelen Tech support I was told both wires have to go back to the battery. When I did run the neg wire back to the battery it work fine. I don't know why a ground to the frame would work but it doesn't work.

2- You must use the correct size wire and fuse at the battery, myself I used a 30 amp fuse in a weather proof holder with 10 gauge wire.

3- The controller wire can be on a 10 or 15 amp fuse from inside the cab, with the ground to somewhere in the cab.

Good Luck Mike

17. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

thanks for the info, that's kinda what i thought.

take care

18. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

I'm surprised they told you to run the - wire to the battery. They could of suggested that because you might of had a bad ground spot. For the most part your ground wire should be as short as possible. Where did you try grounding it at? Keep an eye on the PS and make sure it's not running hot.
    You should always use a rubber grommet even when using the plastic wire loom. It doesn't look like you'll have a problem judging by the ammount of silicon you have on it tho.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2005
  19. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

What side of the fuse did you tap into? How many amps does the PS consume? What is the fuse powering?

20. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

What does each switch do? Did the switches come with the unit? Is this the 6/90 set up?