1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

05 chevy leak at steering gear.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by flykelley, Nov 26, 2009.

1. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Hi guys
    I have a 05 2500HD with a leak at the steering gear at the pitman arm shaft. I can get a used one for $225 truck it came off has a 1000 miles on it. I have heard you can replace just the seal. I also heard this is a common problem on this truck. Schram Auto is how has the used steering gear, said they have sold 225 of them over the years. So swap the SG or replace the seal? Pros and Cons.

Regards Mike
  2. haejinjoe

haejinjoe Junior Member

My experience has been that usually you are more successful to replace the SG and a good low mile used one would be the best way to go. I have had trouble with some rebuilds and have not tried to replace the seal due to low success rate on replacing just the seal.

3. JR Snow Removal

JR Snow Removal Senior Member

I have a 06 2500 and thought mine was leaking there but come to find out they replaced the clamps on my hoses and no more leaking (they said they were in pretty bad shape)
  4. purplehavoc

purplehavoc Member

Common problem leaking there and where the steering shafts enter as well.
    Easy to swap the box if you get a good deal on one.