1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

'05 6.0 diesel

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by cat320, Nov 12, 2013.

1. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

on the driverside there is a small tube that come out of the top of what I belive is the manifold can hardly see anything but if you look in the wheel opening between the brake line and the spring tower you can kinda see it. the problem when you excelerate you can hear not a whisle but like a lot of air pushing thru . The truck has plenty of power just not sure what that tube is and is it bad if I let it go . what would a repair on something like that run?

2. durafish

durafish PlowSite.com Addict
    from 02919

have a 03 making the same whistle sound too and its not the turbo.

3. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

That would be the EBP sensor tube.(Exhaust Back Pressure) There should be a sensor at the top of the tube and just under the degas bottle. And yes you should fix it. If its leaking, it's an exhaust leak....meaning a boost leak. Boost leaks lead to a check engine light. The EBP sensor works in conjunction with the EGR valve and VGT solenoid for the turbo.

4. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

5. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

It looks to be rotten off in the manifold or is it that pipe itself that rots. very hard to see and get your hand on it .

6. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

It's very possible it is rotted off the manifold. The tubes are usually stainless steel. If it is in fact rotted at the manifold, you will need a new exhaust manifold and a new tube.

7. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I'm finding out that no one around here wants to work on diesels. except for the dealer , I have found one place that does waiting for a price on it and hopefully includes the labor not just parts.

8. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

I have a guy I trust with my truck when I can't fix it... He works for the dealer I work at and does a LOT of side work. He's been doing it for 28 years and he's good! Pm me if you want contact info..

9. damian

damian Senior Member

We work on them here in avon mass, lots of them. i have had good luck extracting the fitting from the manifold .

10. wewille

wewille Senior Member

You certainly should be able to extract it from the manifold. There is a fitting that threads into the manifold and the tube threads onto the fitting. Just break the tube off put a 6 point socket on it and it will come out. Worst case it would require a little heat and a twist socket.