1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

05 6.0 2500hd check engine light

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by ajracing81, Feb 2, 2012.

1. ajracing81

ajracing81 Member

So i bought this truck 2 months ago and have had the engine light on 3 times. First time . brought to a local shop and said it was a random misfire and said they havent had any problems with the 6.o and said it must have been a rare thing and cleared it. 2nd time brought it to the dealer and they scanned and said they updated the computer. I have had it flash a couple different mornings but wouldnt stay on. Today i was leaving town going down the hwy and a couple of miles out of town it came on and stayed on. Luckly i was going to where i bought it to get it washed(for Free) it started flashing and staying on steady alternating. So i got there they scanned it and came up misfire 1,5,6 and 8. Any ideas what would cause this?

2. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Have you done plugs and wires on it yet? If not- I'd recommend it.... my '03 had the same issue about 2 years ago- plugs, wires, and intake cleaning took care of it (knock in wood).

3. m297

m297 Member

Had the same thing happen to me, it turned out to be the #8 ign module went bad.

4. ajracing81

ajracing81 Member

Just picked up my truck. There saying that who ever put the k&n air fliter in the truck before put to much oil on it and it coated the mass airflow sen. and thats what is caused oil and dust to build up on it. So i put stock filter in and we shall wait and see. I have a feeling this isnt it.

5. tac48

tac48 Member

Hopefully they did a crankshaft position sensor relearn. Have seen the relearn fix random misfires on the 6.0 many times. If it still acts up, make sure they have done that for you before going much further.

6. larboc

larboc Member

I've seen K&N's foul MAF sensors several times even though the bad MAF sensor didn't trigger a code. Once on a '99 5.3 it caused some crazy shudder and shifting problems but didn't throw a code. While logging data with hptuners I could see the measured air flow rate jumping around and finally figured out that the MAF was the problem.

K&N=bad MAF sensor.

7. tmltrans

tmltrans Member

Random misfire.

Try the plugs its easy and that's what it was on my 04 6.0L. Stick w/ a stock type plug the expensive Platinums I put in made it worse.

8. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Crank relearn.... Most common fix for this problem. Needs to be done anytime any "tune up" done. Takes my shop 2-3 minutes. They don't even pull it in.

9. DrakeSabitch

DrakeSabitch Senior Member

how many miles on your truck? Mine has about 73k and I've been getting the flashing light when i accelerate on the highway around 70-75mph. The code reads for multiple cylinder misfire. Chevy reccomends a tune up at 100k, but I'm thinking I'm going to have to do one sooner than that. Im guessing you probably just need a tune up.

10. ajracing81

ajracing81 Member

i have 55000 miles on it. Havent had the light come on since the air filter deal, until the other day i was going around 70-75mph and it flashed a couple times and then went out and did it again and never stayed on. Dealer ship said to keep an eye on it. Im going to change plugs today.

11. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

I'd definitely have the crank re-learn performed before you throw any parts at it. Also, have the intake manifold gaskets checked for vacuum leaks. If you do change plugs or wires, use only OEM AC Delco parts... Otherwise you're just asking for more troubles.

Personally, I'd ditch the K&N filter... It's of little to no benefit, and the oil from the element only aggravates the MAF. Not likely the cause of a random misfire code though.

12. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

Sorry... I see where you said you re-installed the stock air filter already. Smart move... Thumbs Up

13. DrakeSabitch

How did you make out with the new plugs? Any difference?

14. ajracing81

ajracing81 Member

well changed plugs (factory) and wires so we will what happens seems to run the same ill find out tom. night have to travel with it.

15. ajracing81

ajracing81 Member

so the light came on again it seems to only come on when i go 70 mph because i drive to work everyday day going 60mph and never comes on. Im calling the dealer this morning to see if they can do the crankshaft sensor relearn.

16. DrakeSabitch

Brought my truck in this past week to fix my blinking check engine light/misfire issue. The dealership relearned the crankshaft position sensor. Problem SOLVED.

17. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

X2.. this had to be done to my new to me 05 also.

18. ajracing81

ajracing81 Member

thats what they ended up doing to it.