1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

05 3500 6litre over heat help?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by east end turf, Dec 23, 2008.

1. i have a 05 3500 Chevy with a gas motor duel wheels 4x4 9 foot western plow at 35t to 45mph truck over heats . does anyone know the web site for the scoop that bolts on between the headlights to force air down to grill? Any help would be helpful thanks ussmileyflag

2. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

Don't even waste your time with that foolish looking thing.. Go to autozone and but the heavy duty fan clutch for the truck. It will run you in the $69 dollar range. I was having the same issue with my truck (03 2500HD) and after installing that fan clutch, the temps never rose above 195, and that's with some 65 mph highway driving. GOODLUCK!!

3. cbriggs.pm

cbriggs.pm Junior Member

the company i worked for last year, i drove a gmc 04 3500 duelly, sander, 9ft blade, 15 degrees out. it would still bury the needle into the red. "engine power reduced" .. we thought there was a coolant issue, changed the fluid, new fan clutch. still no different.. best solution, when it got hot we would just drop the blade to about 4 inches above the ground. let the grill take in some cool air..cheap fix!

4. traviswalker007

traviswalker007 Senior Member

overheat

I fought this problem for 3 years on my 3500 dually. 2 things i ended up doing to solve the issue. first is the fan clutch, did not see a big diffrence but it helped a little, 2nd is i revoved the ac cooler in the front of the grill, next to the tranny cooler..BIG DIFFRENCE letting in more air i run about 200 to 220 at 55 with the plow on, but still lowered a little to get the aire in.

5. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

You didn't mention that you put the HD clutch in. If you put a NEW one with the same specs it isn't going to do squat for you. EAST END TURF... put the HD fan clutch in and all your issues will go away! TRUST ME!!!!

6. traviswalker007

traviswalker007 Senior Member

sorry!!!!

No your issues wont go away with just the fan clutch...been there done that....

7. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

Seems to depend on the unit. Mine was real bad with the overheating. Installed an aftermarket HD fan clutch. A little better but still occasional heat issues. Switched to a GM HD fan clutch and they have appeared to go away. Hasnt been above 45 degrees since, but it never rose over 190 driving hard on the hills and highway with the plow in all positions so far. Tranny was still getting a little warm though, but again it was better.

8. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

Add note: it has appeared to cost me 1-2 MPG though. Went from 13-15 cruising to 11-12 in the last 2 weeks and not sure why. Thats all Ive done since it started.