1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

05 2500HD Diesel

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by sdobie, Nov 22, 2011.

1. sdobie

sdobie Junior Member
    from MN

I am new to this site but not new to asking questions.

I have a 2005 2500HD Diesel and would like to put a light v-plow on it. I need to know what I need ot do to my truck in order to install one. I know I need to put gussets on and I think my suspension needs to be beefed up. I also would like to have minimal controls inside.

Any suggestions on everything would be appreciated, including the type of plow. Boss looks good to me but I am a newbie. :)

-Steve

2. ATouchofGrass

ATouchofGrass Member
    from CT

Good shocks, crank the torsion bars up a little and maybe some timbrens will help that front end no problem. I personally am a fisher guy, so an extreme v would be perfect in either a 7.6 or 8.6. Fisher's controls are like no other, and the wiring is simple and clean. Just my 2 cents.

3. sdobie

sdobie Junior Member
    from MN

Thanks. I just put new Rancho shocks on. I will take a look at the Fisher's. Crank the torsion up, by How much?

4. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

With a v plow not much. Not sure on the Fisher specs but go to a good alignment shop and ask them to set the "Z" height to the height that the plow frame needs to be. If you go too high with a V plow you'll wear the edges. Just make sure the tech doesn't look at you funny when you say "Z" height because that is the only way to set ride height on a chevy and not have other issues.

Timbrens is a common recommendation on here but I haven't seen the need. I have an 810 on my truck, I just use ballast to keep it from nose diving too much.

5. ATouchofGrass

ATouchofGrass Member
    from CT

Yeah, i have never bought them, but they would be nice to prevent the sag if you don't have weight in the back. I always have a 1 yard +in the sander when plowing.

6. White Duramax

White Duramax Junior Member

Crank the torsion bars about 4-6 turns. They will handle a 9.2 or 9.5 v plow.