1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

05 2500 Running Rough

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Plow Dude, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Plow Dude

Plow Dude Senior Member

I'm not really sure how to explain this but when I turn the truck on after it has been sitting for a few hours or even over night, it idles really, really rough. When you go to drive it and press down on the gas peddle it is not very responsive. The check engine light is on and sometimes it blinks on and off when I'm driving. It has 115,000 miles and had a recent tune up. Mabe the o2 sensor? I just don't know....

2. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm assuming its the hemi so I'd start with 02s then check your intake sensors as well. Could be a tps

3. oldbluehairhemi

oldbluehairhemi Senior Member

when the check engine light flashes like that you have a really really really bad misfire. it will damage the cat. you need to find whats causing the misfire.

4. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

You can buy a hand held code tool for less than $200. If you work on your own stuff they are worth the price. Find the code, do research online, talk to a mechanic, and replace what it needs than guess.

I had a 99 Superduty V10. It had codes one saying fuel trim max lean. Brought it to a independent shop before I had a code reader and to say the least I was not impressed, changed fuel filter, all coil packs, plugs, broke a coil bolt in the intake manifold, so they put a used intake in. Still ran like crap. They wanted to pull the heads and I could tell they were guessing so I declined said enough was enough (bill was over $1k and I bought the coils seperate). Bought a code reader did research, replaced 3 fuel injectors as one I moved them the misfire moved with them. Under $200 the truck ran great. To say I was pissed was a unstatement. The fuel trim max lean meant the computer leaned out the mixture due to a rich condition. The independant shop didn't understand the code. Long story short is that code reader has saved me tons of money or the years. Does it take my time figuring it out? Yes, but most shops are $80 plus per hour and my time is worth that.

As for the flashing. When it flashes it is saying don't drive me as you could cause major damage, that atleast is why the mfg's made it flash compared to solid.

5. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811 Senior Member

http://www.harborfreight.com/obd-ii-eobd-multilingual-code-scanner-99722.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/can-obdii-code-reader-with-multilingual-menu-98568.html

Start with one of these rather than just pissing money into the wind by replacing random parts while praying for a cure. :mechanic:

6. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

put the key in ignition. turn on off on off on
    look at the odometer and see what codes are posted there..

P#### then look them up online.

if you google search p#### dodge ram, you might even hit some forums with answers to the errors and suggested fixes. the error code data base can be found online.
    Im not at home but I have it book marked for dodge and can post it up later.

goodluck

7. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

whoops wrong spot

Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  8. mike13

mike13 Member
    from mass

ive got a 06 2500 hemi 120,000 had the same problem it was a mis fire on number 6 cylinder . so i changed the plugs.code left then came back so i moved the coil pack to another cylinder to see if its the coil an a day or so later it came back then i replaced that 1 and she now runs sttrog again.i gained 2 mpg up to 15mpg at 70

9. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

Not sure about the newer hemi's but i know the hemi's up to 2005 had 2 plugs per cyl and were fed by two different coils. Meaning you could actually pull 4 coils off one side of the engine and it would still fire on all eight. So IMO that bad of a mis-fire would be more of a electric harness issue then multiple plugs and coils being bad. Knowing the codes is a must before you really know where to start diagnosing.

10. PeterD

PeterD Junior Member

Q: what kind of plugs in it right now, and how long have they been in there. The Hemi runs best on cheap (factory/OEM) copper Champion plugs. Expensive plugs are not the best way to go, they simply don't perform well in this engine.

As to the dual plugs/eight coils... I'm not sure what effect a bad coil would have! I wonder if the ECM can detect a failed coil or not?