1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

05 250 transmission slip

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by ABsnow, Dec 16, 2009.

1. ABsnow

ABsnow Member

So, bought this 05 f250 fx4 5.4 L back in October. Bought from a Ford dealer, they had it for two years as their shop truck with which they plowed their lot. 45k mi., 2 seasons of plowing. I was getting on the e-way last nite, gave it a little more juice than normal, and wouldn't you know it, the transmission slipped. Not sure if it was 2nd or 3rd gear, higher rpm range, I let off the gas, it clunked, and away we went. No issues since, but now this is in the back of my mind going into this season. What are the chances this was a one time occurance? Or is this an indication of something bad? Can the torque converter slip in the higher rpm's or is this more likely in the transmission? Of course my 30 day warranty is no longer. The dealer already footed the bill for new intake gaskets.

2. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

your dealer is giving out a 30day warranty!? OMG i would of walked away right there! ...no way its a one time occurance.. start with the fluid and filter at a ford dealer.. those transmissions take a special fluid and dont think of putting anything other than it in it! MERCON SP is what it takes. have a ford dealer do a fluid exchange on it. Torqueshifts are NOT cheap to rebuild or replace. remans start around 3500 good luck keep us posted!

3. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

With 45k on the clock, I'd start with a fluid and filter service, since it's due anyway.

I've been able to fool my torqueshift a time or two by doing something it doesn't expect and it feels like it's slipping, but it's not. Not saying that's what happened, but it's possible. These things are all electronic, and electronics (especially the drive-by-wire system) aren't perfect...

With only 45k on it, you may still be covered under a 5 year 60k powertrain warranty.

4. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

should be a 5/ 100k warranty. thats why i was so surprised on the 30 day thing...call the local ford stealer

5. wizardsr

He has a gasser; powertrain warranty was only 60k on gassers I believe. None-the-less, depending on when the truck was originally "sold", he may still be within 5 years...

6. ABsnow

ABsnow Member

Ford dealer says it originally had 3 yr 36k mi. warranty. I bought it used with 44k, factory warranty was already up. They gave me 30 day 50/50 and offered extended warranty for like another $40 bucks a month, I declined. Since it was their shop truck for 2 years, I'm sure their porters and mechanics beat on it pretty good. I am going to look into a fluid change. Still has not done it since. Just don't want it to let loose during a storm, seeings how I have no back up.

7. bacwudzme

bacwudzme Senior Member

I agree my Torqshift has sliped due to my foot on it let off I really would over look it. I agree on the service I would make sure they flush and replace the TP type filter on the frame rail. And make sure you have them use Mercron SP. I would call a few Ford dealers. And most are going to tell you Ford doesnt require a flush till 100k. I had to travel a hour to have mine done. They just want to replace the paper element on the frame rail and top off the fluid. I recommend a flush. While its at the dealer have them reflash the computer. I had mine done and it was a whole new truck! Just my .02 Good luck.

8. wizardsr

Yeah, the dealer will tell you not to change it, but minimum on a plow truck is 2 years or 40k regardless of what the dealer thinks, it's preventative maintenance. Some guys change them every year. Also, dropping the pan to change the fluid and filter allows a look at any metalics in the pan that you wouldn't otherwise know were there, and can tell you how wounded the tranny may already be.