1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

05 1500 wiring harnes install question

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Gear_Head, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Gear_Head

Gear_Head Senior Member
    from IL

2. Gear_Head

Gear_Head Senior Member
    from IL

ok, so the fuse holder I have figured out to go to relay 6 #30. However #86 of relay 6 should have a diode and go to DRL wire. Not sure I have a diode...any help on this. I thought I have everything. Page 12

3. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

I sent you a PM. Let me know if that answers your question.

4. Gear_Head

Gear_Head Senior Member
    from IL

as always, you are right on it. thank you!

5. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Glad to help! Are you going to have that ready for some white stuff?

6. Gear_Head

Gear_Head Senior Member
    from IL

At my rate...it will be close

7. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Did you end up getting this figured out GH?

I've been working on my own plow for the last couple days. I think I'm ready to roll now, just need to load the ballast and I'll be set. :D

8. Gear_Head

Gear_Head Senior Member
    from IL

I get Mondays and Tuesdays off. My ******* took overtime today, so I may not finish the install til tomorrow. However, I still have to hook the plow to the truck and see what happens.

so kinda yes...but not completely. LOL

9. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Ah yes, good ol' OT...

I was installing a harness on an '03 yesterday and had remembered this thread. Thought I'd better find out since they're calling for a chance of snow (whether it accumulates or not) later this week or next...payup

10. Gear_Head

Gear_Head Senior Member
    from IL

installed the harness today, but can't test it by hooking the plow up just yet. I gotta jump in the shower and get to work, but maybe I will get the Mrs to come out and play in the truck tonight

2 minor cosmetic questions

where does the relay bundle go? I have it in a pocket behind the drivers side headlight, but that seems to be a tight fit. Where does the fuse holder get bolted down? I don't see anything in their instructions about either one

[​IMG]

11. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

It's not as cosmetically pleasing as I 'd like it to be, but I usually tape the realays together, zip tie as much of the harness together and try to zip tie them to the front core support. If I have them on hand, I like to use those zip ties with the screw hole in them and pop a sheetmetal screw in to hold them. I'd do the same with that fuseholder. Just somewhere where it's easily accessable in the middle of the night, in the dark, in ghe cold, and the snow.... :cool:

12. Gear_Head

Gear_Head Senior Member
    from IL

I was afraid that was where that was suppose to go...I don't like the idea of them being there, but may do it. Unfortunately, because that is not cosmetically pleasing to me, lol

13. just me

just me Member

I just installed my wiring harness on a 2000 K1500 and what a joke of a rats nest with all those relays. What the hell is Western thinking ? Would it be too much to supply a small board and clip arrangement to hold them in place ???
    I used the bolt holding the brace over the battery in your pic to hold my fuse holder and it fit nicely.

14. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

[​IMG]

15. just me

just me Member

OK, are you saying this will replace all those relays ??

16. x.system

x.system Senior Member

I think thats what he's saying. Gear Head, you done yet???

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  17. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Yes and no. This was Western's answer to all of those relays though. The newer plows use this Module.

I only run two relays, one for High beams and one for Low beams. I don't use the headlight portion of the plow harness, I wire them with my own switch(es). This makes for a shorter route for the power to the headlights with less voltage drop, thus allowing them to be brighter. The wire that both Western and the OEMs use in their harnesses is so tragically undersized that the light output is really compromised. The newer Isolation Module helps with this, but my relays (or just running a separate hot wire to your current relay) will help increase their output.

18. Gear_Head

Gear_Head Senior Member
    from IL

I like the idea for the fuse holder...thanks. Not sure if I am done yet, I will be testing it tomorrow I hope. With my luck, I will say no. I do hate that rats nest.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  19. Gear_Head

Gear_Head Senior Member
    from IL

Well I wish I had good new to report.

Installed the wiring harness yesterday, had a buddy hit the control to make sure I had power at the pump harness and I did.

Hooked it up today to the plow and checked the fluid. Dirty, but fluid. Hit the up, left, right, all I am getting is the click from the solenoid and dimming my lights. If I hit it a couple of times quick in a row, it makes my amp meter bounce way low and the service brake system shows up in the command center, but goes away.

I tried tapping the motor to see if it was locked up, nothing. I still suspect it is locked up but need to start checking the trouble shooting guide.

I also have no lights, but I think I know what I did wrong there. Before anyone asks, I purposefully did not connect the DRL, parking, or turn signals for the time being. However, the harness is plugged into the back of the trucks lights and they work just fine.

For now I gotta walk away from it for the evening. Hate to do it, but have pre-thanksgiving plans.

I also can not get the lift ram down. I lubed it up and no matter what I do, it will not go down. I suspect it is frozen there from the last bone head leaving it up, but didn't want to mess with the packing nut until I know or think it is not related to the lack of movement as well.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  20. Gear_Head

Gear_Head Senior Member
    from IL

almost has to be a frozen motor. Used a jumper pack directly to the motor studs as the mechanics guide says and all it did was throw sparks. I took the motor off and can not spend the pump inside. Is this something I can fix, or not worth it and worth the moeny to buy new?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009