1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

05 1500 crew cab???

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by lodogg89, Jul 23, 2006.

1. lodogg89

lodogg89 Senior Member

I have an 05 crew cab, has the 6.0l, just wondering what i should do for a plow, i was thinking either western midweight poly or a fisher 7.5ld series plow. If i install timbrens do i still need to add the extra ballast to the rear

2. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I would go with the Fisher only because that is what I have. It is great plow. You could probably get away with the RD series as it is only a few pounds heavier. I would get Timbrens, but you will also need ballast in the rear as well. Ballast mostly helps with rearend grip.

3. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I think you are going to need a 8' since it is a crew cab????

4. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Check out sno-way. I have been using one since '97 for industrial lots and town homes - go for the 8' or you'll be kicking yourself.

You may want to inspect your torsion bars to see if you can get heavier duty ones and make sure you have an external trans cooler. Sounds like you got the horse power but, maybe not the prep package.

5. lodogg89

lodogg89 Senior Member

i ordered the timbrens today, do i really want an 8 foot plow though, the fisher weighs 100 pounds less than the poly western plow. Would a spreader work for my ballast??

6. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

IMO yes you do want a 8' plow and a salter would be great ballast.

7. lodogg89

lodogg89 Senior Member

They dont make an 8ft plow in the midweight category, id have to move up to the pro and an additional 150 pounds

8. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

I thing puting a plow on a crew cab 1500 is asking a bit much from a 1500. Is it a 1500 or a 1500HD. The lightest plow you can find would save your truck. Just ask bad luck his 1500 with a 7.5 fisher I think broke in half or something.

9. dmontgomery

my 8' Snoway weighs about 550#......but with the down pressure performs like it weighs 850#...

10. lodogg89

lodogg89 Senior Member

im gonna look into the snowway here as well, definetly not getting a fisher, no dealer here in the state. Western midweigh i was quoted 4K installed, i think im going to do the install myself though, unless some recomends not to??

11. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

sorry for my negativity but i would never put a plow on the family grociery getter. they are not even reccomended on a one ton crew cab let alone a 1500. even if you do put the plow on, you will HATE plowing with it. save the four grand and buy a old blazer or old truck to get you started. like i said sorry for the negativity,but if your going to be a professional you need correct equiptment.

12. jgsxr750

jgsxr750 Member

you can put a 7.5pro western on your truck. just crank up the torsion bars and install the timbrens . MUST have ballast . i have a 7.5 pro on my 1500 2006 crew and its great.

13. lodogg89

lodogg89 Senior Member

i would put the pro, but i have the 6.0 as well which is even heavier up front,

14. dmontgomery

I don't believe that the type of equipment has anything to do with being a professional. It may have something to do with image, and projecting a professional image. But again the best way to project a professional image is to do great work.

The important thing is the work you do....not what you do it with...... I don't think customers really care what equipment you use as long as the job is completed, correctly and on time.

I would agree that hanging a heavy plow on a 1/2 ton can be very hard on the truck, but that is your choice...

The only people that are going to think you are unprofessional because you are using a 1500 are some other plow operators......

D

Last edited: Jul 27, 2006
  15. lodogg89

lodogg89 Senior Member

If image is everything then why do 90% percent of plow operators drive vehicle older than I am and are rusted out more than the Titanic. Quality is everything. Do go work and make you customers happy. I cant say i have ever heard of a customer saying, hey thats a white half ton, and im looking for someone with a red 3/4 ton, sorry

16. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

lodogg89, i agree! never heard anyone say that either. i never said image is everything. i said "if your going to be a professional you need the correct equiptment. IMO i didn't feel like a 1500 crew cab is a good CHOICE for a professional snow plowing company. does a professsional mowing company use light weight Wal- Mart lawnmowers?? a few probably do, and they also proably wear them out in one season.

17. lodogg89

lodogg89 Senior Member

im not looking to become a professional snow plow business, in nebraska their just isnt the snow to support it. I have had 7 of my lawn customers ask for snow removal, so i figuered i would take them on and keep me busy during the off season.

18. 2004Z71CC

2004Z71CC Member

on my 2004 1500 crew cab I run an 8' pro with timbrens and 4 turns on the torsion bars. I also have a speedcaster 1 (single stage) on the truck and I have no problems. The truck may drop 1/2 to 1 inch when the plow is raised. I do however only drive the truck myself and am careful when plowing. In a typical 20cm snow I plow for approx 6 hrs. The 8' western pro plow is not too heavy for a 1500.

Darren

19. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

lodogg89

If you have the 6L engine then I bet you have 8 bolt wheels. This is the old 3/4 ton truck they had a few years ago. I would put the 8' pro on it and plow away. I have said this many times, a friend of mine is plowing with a 1999 Tahoe with a 8'6" poly Arctic plow with almost no repairs. Timbrens and the torsion bars turned up.

20. lodogg89

lodogg89 Senior Member

i only have 6 lug, it is a half done, i have timbrens now sitting here, if i install them now, is the truck going to sit up higher until snow comes?? Im just gonna buy a midweight, its fine for what i need, just residential driveways