1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

05-07 F-250 gasser...what springs are you guys using?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by 66 BADBOY, Oct 25, 2008.

1. 66 BADBOY

66 BADBOY Member

Hey guys,

I'm interested in hearing about a particular truck configuration.....an 05-07 F-250 (or F-350) SuperCab with a 6.8 V-10 or 5.4 V-8.

On that truck configuration, the normal stock Ford springs are 4400lb. Plow prep are 5200lb. But some guys on a Ford forum (not a plowing forum) say that it's probably a good idea to run the 5600lbs springs instead of the 5200lbs. That was there guess, only because they followed Ford's recommended plow prep springs on their diesels and still had trouble bottoming out badly, even WITHOUT the plow on, so they went up one step above Ford's recommendation and it worked. They assumed it would be the same on the gassers. There is actually a TSB from Ford regarding the bottoming out issue which calls for a remedy to replace the truck's current springs with springs that are two steps stiffer (they cover it if the truck is under warranty).

So, to anyone with an 05-07 F-250 (or F-350) SuperCab with a 6.8 V-10 or 5.4 V-8:

1. What plow do you have
    2. Are you using the 5200, 5600, or 6000lb springs?
    3. Does it seem like its enough spring?

My plow will only be on while I'm plowing my driveway. By the way, my plow will probably be a Boss 8'6" SuperDuty.

2. Grass Master

Grass Master Banned

I run an 05 F250 superduty 5.4, 5200lb axle. It carries the 8-2 Boss V no problem. It has never bottomed out on me, and the streets here realy suck. it drops 3/4" when I attach the plow.:redbounce
  3. 66 BADBOY

66 BADBOY Member

Thank you!!!!!!
  4. Turkey

Turkey Member

I realize mine has leaf springs, and I think your talking coils, but I'd consider putting airbags in the coils. I have the 4400lb leaf springs and just installed Firestone airbags, and the difference in how the truck carriers the plow is huge. The airbags leave the flexibility to partially deflate without the plow allowing for a smoother ride. But again, with coils it's a lot more work to install the airbags.
  5. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

go with the largest capacity you can imo. 5200 should hold it fine though.
  6. F250 Boss v

F250 Boss v Senior Member

I have an '06 F250,Off Road Pkg.,Plow Pkg., V-8, 5.4 with a Boss 8' 2" poly V, I have the 5200LB. Springs and the truck does not even move when I lift the plow. The ride is a little stiff, but not bad at all to me. That was my primary reason for buying the F250 in the first place, it's ability to carry a V plow without needing any mods, tweaks or whatever. It does the job it is intended to do, -no problems.
  7. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

yeah 5200s should be fine on the gas models, 5600 ideally is the minimum for the diesels and considering the weight difference, the 6000s on the diesels are comparable to the 5200s on a gas engine f250 350