1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

04f250diesel crew do i need a 8ft plow

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by mean green 24, Oct 15, 2010.

1. mean green 24

mean green 24 Junior Member

I have 04f250 crew gonna put plow on it. My business is new so money is tight. Just wondering what you guys would get for a plow and why. Also it would have to be used and what am I looking at for cost?

2. bigthom

bigthom Senior Member

I am all about v blades now. I used straight blades and power scoops(blizzard,western and fisher) and I prefer a good V with wings any day. Mine is. 8'6" fisher xtreme V. It isn't cheap but I like it better than anything I used yet. If money is tight I donno where ur from but in my area u can find a boss 8'2" V with frames and harness for about 2500(if u search) to about 3500. Any plow you get it will be easy to find a frame. Fords are very popular plow trucks for some reason lol

3. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

You can get away with a 7.5' plow but you will have to add wings.

You need to look around at plow dealers in your area. Find out who has the best service, prices, accessibility, etc. and look for a used plow that they can service or have parts in stock for.

For me, the Meyer, Snow Dogg and Western dealer is just down the road. There is a Boss dealer about 50 miles away and Fisher dealers don't exist here. As far as price, a descent plow will run anywhere from 2,000-4,000 bucks.

If you look hard enough, I'm sure there is a deal to be had somewhere. Unfortunately, you are buying at the wrong time of year. You will get much better deals in the spring and summer.

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

find a used 8 1/2 foot V blade
    cost can be anywhere between $1500 and $4000 for a used one

5. Tracy89

Tracy89 Senior Member
    from Maine

My guess would that a 7 1/2 would be sufficient. I wouldnt imagine that u would need wings as long as your truck doesnt have dual rear wheels. The wings would be nice but they would be an added cost if your tight on money. IMO i would just find a good used plow 7 1/2 (where i am are readily available) and after making some money upgrade just the blade to an 8 or 8 1/2 or get wings for the 7 1/2...

6. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Your wheel base is much too small for a 7.5' plow. You will constantly be running over unplowed snow while turning. Bigger the better.

7. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

You need to look at the Ford sub forum. You will be over the FGAWR with every plow you put on there.

8. cold_and_tired

Not necessarily true. Do a little research before you post something like this again.

9. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

Right, you can run up to a 7' 6" ft. straight blade according to Western, and nothing according to Boss. It's a toss up really, or you could run illegal. But you can't run a larger plow such as a V or Power plow without going over the FGAWR. Very simple.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
  10. cold_and_tired

Yes that is what the website says. Meyer also said that my plow will cause me to exceed my FAWR but it was not the case. According to three different sets of scales, I am 60-80 lbs under with no ballast in place.

The OP could still run a 7.5' plow and add wings to it.

11. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

An 8' strait blade is all you need IMO. My sugestions are either an 8' Fisher or 8' Boss Trip Edge.

12. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811 Senior Member

+1

Fisher is a popular plow and parts are readily available, depending on where you're at. if money is tight, I suggest looking through classified adds. You can pick up a gently used 8 foot fisher HD set up for your truck for around $2,000 to $2,500.

13. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

I'd go this route OP, this way you could still run legal, but have a 9 ft. 5 inch plow at your disposal when it warrants it. (This is assuming the standard wing size of 1 ft.)

14. TJ Fed

TJ Fed Member
    from Indiana

If people truly think you cant run a "heavy blade" on a diesel since the engine does weigh more your wrong. I run a superduty boss 7.6 straight on my half ton. I know of many many guys running 9.2 v's on F350s. You really cant put to big of a blade on there unless its a muni blade

15. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

You need at least an 8ft blade. Just to cover your tire tracks. I put an 8ft on mine and wish i would have got bigger.

16. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

...................and to everyone scared about putting big blades on their trucks, or nervous about GVW's................stop bein pu$$ys! Trucks are made to work. Plowing snow makes you money. Bigger plows do it more efficiantly, therefore making you MORE money. So what, a bit more weight may call for some premature maintenance. Suck it up and do it. The truck makes you money, you can afford to take care of it. I'll be damned if I put a 7.5' plow on my trucks just to DOUBLE my route time.

As for the driveway guys that dont plow heavy commercial, the little work you put on the truck won't matter anyway. People act as if the extra 50, 100, 200lbs is going to make a difference. A quote of mine from another thread: "Not putting bigger plows on trucks is like having a weight capacity in the cab as well. Does that mean overweight people aren't allowed to plow snow?"

17. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

You can run a heavy blade all you want, that isn't the question. It's wether or not you will be legal at the end of the day. Remember, a FGAWR is calculated on more than just engine weight and springs.

I still stand by winging a Seven Sixer. Nine feet five inches is a pretty hefty plow.

18. mean green 24

mean green 24 Junior Member

Thanks for the info I'm a lot more educated now. Atleast I know what to look for. Do you guys really get stopped that much for weight?

19. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

I have never been stopped for it. But my part of Ohio really isn't strict on that sort of thing, when it's snowing they really don't care what your doing if your plowing..

20. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I have never seen or heard of anyone getting pulled over for having a plow on their truck. Cops and DOT have a bit more to worry about than little ol plow trucks.