1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

04 Silverado w/VYU - Question...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jmassi, Oct 8, 2004.

1. jmassi

jmassi Senior Member

According to the snowplow prep package, there is supposed to be a location to mount your snowplow controls. Has anyone seen this or know where it is on the new Silverados? :confused: I was just curious. :cool:
  2. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

I don't think there is one. They are prewired for a roof light and have a predrilled hole in the firewall for the wiring to pass through.
  3. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

This is what I don't get about the snow plow prep on Chevy trucks. I still can't find what they do drive-line/suspension wise to accommodate for a plow. All i see is electrical changes.
  4. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

5. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

I don't mean to sound like an a$$ but it still does not say what is included suspension wise. The back up lamp, firewall pass through, and forward lamp wire connections are small potatoes compared to the suspension components.

Also, the pre-wiring for a roof mount lamp, does this have a pass through to get to the roof? Wouldn't it be easier to run a jumper from your cargo lamp which is already outside the truck?

I'm not knocking what I, or anyone else drives I'm just trying to sort out what's what.
  6. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

AHA!! I found it....so all that is different from my truck, is an increased spring rate, suspension wise.
  7. jmassi

jmassi Senior Member

I hear ya. I understand all the electrical upgrades, but wouldn't it make sense to beef up the front axle, shock, etc.? I guess that would be too easy. I've located everything on my truck pertaining to the snowplow prep, i.e. roof lamp wires, front lamp harness, etc., but the only thing I still haven't found is that darn "Mounting location for snowplow controls" that GM adds to the pkg. I made my own mount but I would like to find this and see which would be better for me. Oh well. :dizzy:
  8. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

jmassi - you have an 04 z71 with the snow plow prep package?
  9. bobingardner

bobingardner Senior Member

It seems like it would be easier to tap into the cargo lamp but there's a removable plastic panel behind the front seat. I plan to drill a small hole and pass the cable through it then seal the hole with silicone. I'm going to put a water resistant jack ( a spare from my boat) on the end of the wire and a mating plug on the light.

Fisher's ematch tool list two GAWRs for the front end, 3925 and 3200lbs. I always assumed the 3925 rating was because of the plow prep but I could be wrong. It could be part of the towing package.
  10. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Tried the cargo lamp trick. GMs cargo lamp won't stay on when you are in drive.
  11. bobingardner

bobingardner Senior Member

I have the Fisher Fishstick and the only place I've found to mount it is to drape it over the steering column. It's out of the way and doesn't interfere with the gear shift lever or steering wheel.

I really wish GM would provide a custom front air-dam as part of the plow package. The installer did a poor job of trimming mine and I made it worst trying to fix it. At the moment it's not on the truck and in my opinion the truck looks much better without it.
  12. eng50

eng50 Senior Member

The cargo lamp on my '02 Silverado 2500 HD comes on and stays on whenever I push the button on the dash...as does my friends truck, not sure why yours has problems in drive??
  13. George C

George C Senior Member

I just had my XBlade installed a couple of days ago. I made it perfectly clear to the installer that the trimming better be absolutely perfect, or we'll have a problem. They did a great job..

It's pretty simple really, either the installer has respect for a 35K truck, or he doesn't. It's just good policy to remind him to make sure he does. :gunsfiring:
  14. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

If you are running anything serious for a roof light (more than a single strobe) the cargo lamp circuit probably won't handle the extra load. The prewired roof light circuit has a 30 amp fuse, a factory switch in the dash, and the wiring runs up the driver's side B-pillar and is coiled up over the headliner. Once you find the wire you can run it out through the cargo lamp and put a plug on it for your roof light if you run a mag mount. Or, you can extend it or reposition it to where ever you like.

As far as the axle questions that were here earlier. There was a time (very recently) when GM built both a standard and heavy duty 3/4 ton truck. The only differences between the 1/2 ton and standard 3/4 (as far as weight carrying capacities) were springs, torsion bars and tires. Both used the same 6 bolt wheels, wheel bearings, front and rear axles, and front suspension components. The heavy 3/4 shared its major components with the srw 1 ton with again the key differences being springs, t-bars and tires. This is also quite common in medium duty trucks. The axles are usually NOT the lowest rated component in the system.
  15. sbrennan007

sbrennan007 Senior Member

The "Plow Package" says that it includes heavy duty springs, but they were the same as the standard springs on my 2500HD. Just look at the tags on the torsion bars.

Add a set of Timbrens to the front with about 6 turns to the torsion bars and you'll be all set!
  16. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

So basically if I went down to my local Chevy dealer an ordered a set of springs and T-bars off a 1500 with the plow prep I could essential be good to go?
  17. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

What you get with a snow plow prep depends on the rest of the specs of the truck. Sometimes you get heavier T bars or skidplates or a different alternator or all kindsa other things but sometimes you already have the biggest bars and the other things available as a part of another package. All I got was a switch for a blinky light.

My 03's cargo lamp stays on but I just ran the wire for the blinky light out from under my 3rd brake light. Thinking about running it out the vent grate hole deal between the cab and the bed but thats a small thing on my large list of projects.
  18. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

Rat is essentially correct. If you ordered plow prep on say a Z-71 you already have the hevy duty springs and skid plates as part of the Z-71 package. If you order it on a truck equipped with the trailer package you would already have the heavy duty cooling as part of the trailering package.

Per General motors the plow package includes:
    Upgraded Torsion bars
    External Engine Oil cooler
    145 amp alternator
    Wiring for roof light
    Aux. Transmission oil cooler
    42mm hole in firewall for plow harness
    Fwd lamp harness
    Off road skid plate package
    and the mysterious plow control mounting location

As I said some of these ar included in other packages and all most can be ordered either individually or as part of another package without ordering plow prep. The exceptions being the hole in the firewall, the fwd harness connections, the roof light provisions and the mounting location that no one can find anyway.

On half tons GM restricts the VYU package to regular cabs. However you can order all of the critical components spearately. In fact as far asI can tell plow prep for half tons is a new idea at GM. My '96 was ordered as a plow truck but you couldn't get with plow prep. So the original owner ordered it with heavy duty torsion bars, oversize tires and trailer package Then he never put a plow on it... but I did. :D
  19. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

I think one thing you all forgot is that GM will warranty a repair on a truck that plows with the snow prep pkg, but without it you could be out of luck.

20. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

GUYS....What I think GM means by locaton for snow plow controls is the orange power "box" that is in the POS. BATT. CABLE line off by the battery to
    hook up power to plow motor etc. and not cob up the main cable.

My 01 and 04 both had them

The roof beacon wires run bottom to top in the rear B pillar on the left side and dead head in the headliner. Your looking for a heavy brown and black wire(s)... This time I am running mine out thru the 3rd eye brake light...geo :drinkup: