1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

04 silverado heater controls

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by younggun86, Jun 11, 2009.

1. younggun86

younggun86 Junior Member

It wasn't an issue during the winter but now...it's too hot to handle. My heat is stuck on on the driver side and cold on the passenger side. my a/c won't turn on and i've tried everything i know how to. I looked for a new controller but i was told since this is such a common problem, the price is outrageous when you find a good one. My truck is still under warranty but the dealership is a joke ( took 6 months to get them to look at my water pump). anyone know a quick fix?
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

1) Disconnect the neg battery cable for a minimum of 4 minutes.
    2) Reconnect the battery cable and wait another 5 minutes. Do not turn anything on while waiting those 5 minutes (dome light, ignition switch etc).

3) Start the truck. Do you now have control over the left and right temperature settings...even temporarily?

This procedure may temporarily fix the issue but it also helps narrow down what the actual issue may be, and there are several: chafed wire in the harness just to the left of the glove box opening, defective/stuck actuator motor, or a defective control module.

I replace way more actuators than control modules but it sounds as if you've lost control over both the left and right actuators at the same time (correct?)...which isn't too common, so at this point I wouldn't suspect an actuator just yet. Need further diagnosis...