1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

04 Silverado 1500 4x4 w/Plow Prep & Fisher 8' HD

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by tkocomp, Sep 27, 2004.

1. tkocomp

tkocomp Junior Member

I am new to plowing and I am going to look into picking up some commercial small contracts this year. I bought this truck for a landscaping business and the dealer has a plow on it already and gave me a great deal on the plow so he didn't have to take it off. At least they convinced me it was a great deal, $3000- installed for a Fisher 8' HD (Minute Mount 2), did I get taken?

Anyway, I was reading some of the posts here and I was wondering, do I need to do anything to my truck before I start plowing with it? I saw a post about adding Timbrens to the front end, do I need these? Anything else I should be concerned with? I know the truck has a Transmission cooler already, came w/the plow prep package.

As I said, I am a newbie, so I appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

Tom

2. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

The price is very good but the plow is a bit big for the truck,i would seriously consider asking the installing dealer of the plow to take it on trade for a 7.5',if it is new there shouldn't be a problem and the plow mounts and wiring on your truck are still the same,maybe the truck dealer has a 7.5' on another truck in the lot?Either way,it's in your best interest to find one.

3. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

yeah thats gone way down the front end you should trade down to a 7.5 i dont think you could upgrade the front suspension enough to carry that blade

4. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

A reg duty 7.5 I think you can still get a HD 7.5 cant you?

5. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

but why 7.5 rd is fine for that truck

6. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Welcome to plowsite tkocomp :waving:

Timbrens depend on how well the truck holds the plow now, does the front end drop alot when you raise the plow? If so then get the timbrens if you would like. The plow is bigger then what goes on the average 1/2 ton BUT if you go to Fishers website and go to "ematch" their plow selection, they recommend up to an 8'6" HD series plow which weighs 731 LBS. The one you have weighs about 717 LBS so you should be fine. Use your judgement, If you feel that the truck is having a hard time carrying the plow then by all means get a smaller plow like an RD 7'6" if you can. In my opinion the dealer should NOT be selling 1500 trucks with 8 foot plows on them, i don't know if he wanted to get rid of it or what. Do you have reg cab or ext cab? Iam not saying you have to get a different plow, my plow is 7'6" and weighs 750 LBS and its on a 2000 F-150 ext cab, not a single problem yet.

7. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

The heaviest 7.5 Fisher makes is the RD,though it is a serious blade and built to take a beating for sure.

8. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Sorry I get confused with all the brands lingo. Its like going to the movie theater and not being able to buy a "small" soda.

There is generaly a "home owner" a "regular duty" and a "heavy duty or comercial duty" line with any manufacturer.

I meant that it was JMO to stick with a middle of the road grade and weight plow. I believe most manufacteres have a HD and a RD version of the 7.5 blade.