1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

04 sierra Brake Caliper

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by samjr, Oct 7, 2008.

1. samjr

samjr Senior Member

I am getting real pissed off at me truck took it to 4 shops last month and they all said my Ebrake was sticking on it so off i go and get the parts from dealer and off i go to see my MC and he says only the pass said cable was bad and put the new Epads on and new brake pads on too so off i go and what do i smell agnion but them burning by then i was mad so i go home and is my side that was hot too not pass side just my side so next i say f**ck it i am getting a new Caliper and bang it was fix now a month to the day my pass side is getting hot now and smelling any1 got this problem with there sierra??????????????????? tymusic:cry:

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Somewhat common of an issue in the salt belt areas.

Aluminum caliper + steel piston + steel slide pins = corrosion. Be sure to remove the pads as well as the pad slider clips (stainless steel plates on each side of the pads) and clean the grooves out in the caliper bracket. They're famous for getting corrosion buildup behind the slider plates..which then wont allow everything to float freely, causing drag on the pads. Usually need a chipping hammer and a coarse file at pad replacement time in order to clean the pad grooves out on most any brand of truck with rear disc's in the salt belt. Use plenty of silicone brake grease at reassembly as well. Often overlooked detail at many repair shops.

3. samjr

samjr Senior Member

So B&B u saying i don't need a new just clean this 1 up ?

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

No not saying that as it still may need the caliper changed due to piston to caliper body corrosion.

Just be sure to clean everything else of rust/corrosion while you have it off or you'll be in there again for similar symptoms again.

5. santaclause

santaclause Member

if your piston is seized up then you need to replace caliper and I have had better luck with Napa IMO they sell you the whole thing frame and all not just piston like advance auto for ussually 20.00 more not worth all the trouble if you ask me but I just got done putting brakes on my grocery getter 04 impalla calipers and everything brake hoses..I used to have a gmc and at 30000 miles had caliper go bad but was covered under waranty disc on the back = trouble alot of the times drums are alot less hassle..