1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

04 shifting hard

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 1 bad bolt, Nov 19, 2008.

1. 1 bad bolt

1 bad bolt Member

i have a 04 1500 and looking to see if anyone elses truck shifts hard from 1 gear to 2 ? its almost as if it snaps into second, it seems to calm down after the tranny gets complety warmed up, so just looking to see if anyone else has experienced a similar problem

MAR4CARS Senior Member

Not sure if the 04 has the same trans as the 95 (4L60E) my memory isn't working well this am .But we've seen a few 95 1500 that had a broken accumulator spring causing that issue.
  3. 1 bad bolt

1 bad bolt Member

im not to sure what tranny is in the truck i just bought it about 2 months ago wiht 26k miles on it, i brought it to the dealer since its under warranty but they said its fine, even though i checked the fluid when i got it back and it was barley showing on the stick, im more less thinking they just dont wanna fix it, i know its not normal for the truck to shift that way and i cant have the tranny go this winter on me , so im trying to get this resolved before the snow flys
  4. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

Make them send out a service tech for a ride along in the truck, and you drive it. That way you know they are feeling what you know is wrong.
  5. 1 bad bolt

1 bad bolt Member

ya thats what i was thinking , just looking to see if anyone else had similar issues so i am more prepared about any known problems
  6. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

If they don't want to help you go to a different dealer...SCREW'EM...It's time to take a stand to this CRAP...
  7. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

You say that it happens more or worse when the tranny is cold right? If you can, bring it to a dealer and leave it overnight, that way get a ride in the morning, take it for a test ride and show them what's up. If they still say that it's "all set", tell them to give you some sort of paperwork about it, that way, next month, when the tranny explodes, you can take it back to them to fix.
  8. 1 bad bolt

1 bad bolt Member

i already did leave it for 2 days telling them its at its worst in the morning when first driving and seems to be not as harsh shifting as it warms up but still noticable to me. i do let the truck for for 10 15 minutes before i leave in the morning as well.. the first shift is loud enough to wear everyone in my house can here it when i leave for work. i had already told them i was going to save all the paper work so if this does happing i have something to show except a paycheck if i miss out on plowing. i know its a hard one for someone to have a answer for me , but like i said just looking to see if any one had ideas or has gone through similar problems
  9. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

Take it back the day after your warranty expires. They'll tell you it's shot and you need to buy a new transmission... :gunsfiring:
  10. swa136

swa136 Senior Member

That's one of the reasons why GM is circling the drain. The ole brush off until the warranty is up!
  11. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Ok here goes. My wife bought a brand new 2002 Chevy 1500. In 2003 and about 20,000 miles, her truck was doing the hard shift from 1st to 2nd. Sometimes it sounded like someone was underneath hitting the bottom of the cab with a hammer, it was loud. At first the mechanics would here it during the ride along. They tore the transmission down, they said they replaced some part in the tranny. Wife drives it home still doing the same thing. This time I take it in and we do the ride along with the same mechanic. He doesn't here a thing now. I demanded it be fixed they tear down the tranny again and said everything is fine. I say ********, and threatened to sue them in front of all their customers. So, they pull out of their arse a bulletin that says this is normal. I say not good enough. They bring down a district service rep from Michigan, we do the ride along and he says yep thats the noise described in the bulletin. I said what are you goign to do to fix it. he says i'll give you a 100,000 mile warranty on the transmission. He says that some of the transmissions in the 1/2 tons make this noise and others don't, they don't have a clue. Anyway my wife said screw it and just traded the pile off. So she trades it off on a new 04 Tahoe with the same transmission.:yow!: But it never made that shifting noise.:dizzy: