1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

04 ram temp, voltage and outside air temp q?s

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by elite1msmith, Dec 9, 2009.

1. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

picked up an 04 ram 2500 hemi

I noticed with the plow hooked up it seems to run 2/3 of the way to the red line even pushed 3/4 of the way when i got on it a bit...and thats with an empty bed!?

this is my first gen 3 dodge, how do you guys carry your plow? 8 foot western pro.

any other tips to keep the temp down? i thought about changing the T-stat, but im thinking how hot it got , even a lower temp stat would result in basicly the same thing becasue mine was running wide open the whole time

? number 2 - my out side air temp ? how does that run, were is the senser , this one seemed accurate until i hoocked the plow up and started using it, then it was reading 10-15 degrees higher, then if i would let the truck sit at idle for 5 mins the temp would then be correct? am i getting the cab too hot? defrost? is the temp sensor under the hood and related to the hot engine temp?

3rd... no mods, stock alt, stock battery It gave me a low voltage light 45 mins into plowing, with plow lights, and heater full...no strobes or aux. The check engine light came on...i shut the lights off and then the voltage went back up with in 2 mins, and i could keep plowing...never did it again, plowed for a while... i didnt dare shut the truck off, but when i got home, its off and it restars with no problems.... any body else having this issue? i know the battery is about due, but my thought with how quickly into the storm of 45 mins that i got a low volts light, maybe i need a bigger alternator as well?

2. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

If the truck didn't come with the plow prep package, it has a 132 A alternator. Plows prep bumps it up to a 160 A alternator. Sounds like that is working though and recharging the battery. I'd try a new battery before you use up the alternator.

3. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

All I can tell you is that on my Dodge the outside temperature sensor is mounted on the drivers side, attached to the intercooler, way at the front of the engine compartment. I imagine yours is up there too. I fresh outside air is being blocked by the plow, the temps will probably go up, as it is getting some heat from under the hood.

4. zeek

zeek Member

my 09 hemi does the same thing, when the plow is on and I am driving it runs about 220-230, with the plow off it runs 200-210, so I would say don't worry about it to much unless it keep climbing. If it stays at that temp you will be fine, its when it keeps rising and doesn't level offf is when you have issues. My outside temp guage does the same thing as your also. A lower thermostat is not the answer, when you do that the water won't stay in the radiator long enough to cool the coolant, i thought about having my electric fan setting to be set lower so it comes on sooner.... probably should talk to the dealer.

5. DHDB

DHDB Member

Engine temp: I've never had a temp issue, even when it's been warm outside w/ plow on. Are you traveling far?

Outside Air Temp: The sensor is located in front of the radiator (drivers side). The plow causes a "dead space" and the warm air just stays there causing an inaccurate temp reading. Once the plow goes on, don't trust the temp reading.

Voltage issue: I have the same issue. I posted aquestion bout thuis a while ago, no solutions were found. Voltage gauge will drop and warning chime will soun for about 30 seconds, then everything returns to normal. I've had the system checked 2x by different people and cannot find anything wrong. Only happens when plow is on.

One other thing to note=ABS Light: If you are backblading and drive forward through the pile of snow, snow can get caught in the inside of the wheels/rims and cause the ABS light to go on. No major issue. This will clear itself out with a little driving (to next house).

Good luck this winter.

6. elite1msmith

from chicago

thanks for the info and replies

No im not traveling that fare. I do have to drive about 20 mins from my shop to the site, its between 35-55 mph , some stop and go , some wide open

If i baby it , i can keep the temp pretty low... but for example today (2 degrees outside air temp) while on the highway , traveling 55-60 mph. there was one point where i had to go "against the wind" causing me to give her a little more fuel.... welll the temp shoot up, just below where the top of the white arch (not sure the exact temp) So thats getting pretty close to the "red H"

im gonna try to relocate the temp sensor and see what happens - thanks for the info

voltage - same deal today, 30 mins into plowing in a tight parking lot, i had to kill my lights and heater. Turned off the heater and the voltage immeadeatly went back up. I turned the heat on for a second and it did go back down while raising the plow. Being that im on the original battery , i think i will start with that and go from that point. 5 years is a while, not worth chancing

7. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

My truck does the same thing as yours- voltage and heating up. My truck says "Check Gauges" instead though, and sometimes it will spike high rather than low. I've never had this cause my truck to shut down and figure it just due to the draw of the electric motor on the plow. I usually try to start moving once I'm raising the plow- Put truck in reverse while plow is down, start to raise plow and while its raising I back up so the rev's go up charging the battery.

The heat issue- whenever mine rises I just angle the plow to the left and it goes down pretty quick, maybe try angling it more when your driving around. If not, lower it a bit. Do the HEMI's have a clutch fan still or just an electric fan? Mine has both and the clutch fan kicks in at about 3/4's and does a good job cooling it down as well.

8. elite1msmith

from chicago

i try that raising while in rev trick at times, but it can make it hard to push past the curb lines, especially if its not a big enough snow to allow the blade to "ride up the pile" on its own

I will have to check the fan, im pretty sure it has an electric fan on the drivers side with a clutch fan on the passenger...altho im not sure which fan cools what, or if they are seperate radiators, /coolers. I have only opened the hood a few times honestly

9. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

TEMP-- Had the same issue on a 03 1500, some days good others lots of overheating. Try swaping out the factory clutch fan for a heavy duty one in the winter. The plow creates a void of clean air behind it which causes less air flow through the radiators. You will notice the difference in the noise level from the fan but will never overheat!!!

ALT -- On the older stuff don't mess with the amperage for this will cook the computer in the truck (93 and down). It comes down to a supply and demand, if the battery has a reserve of 800amps and the plow needs 1000amps the alt will make up the difference!!! But do this over and over and the battery will become week and only develope 700amps then the system will go into decifit and the alarms will sound. The best solution is a second battery and more amps on reserve. Sure by putting a bigger and better alt on will make a diference but the electronic systems are getting more and more delicate to change!!!

10. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

I agree with you but on this 04, the plow prep package from the FACTORY has a 160A alternator. If you went to an auto store and asked for a new alternator for this truck, you would have 2 options- the 132A stock or the 160A stock for plow prep. And yes, this is to battle the additional amperage needed. Good explanation!

11. elite1msmith

from chicago

accutally im not sure that was a good explination, heres how i think about it. the alternator puts out 132, plus the battery is 800 amps (a guess) = 932 amps. If the plow requires about 200 amps to raise, then that means i am drawing more than the alternator puts out. Even with a 2nd battery, it will still run into the same problem, it will just take twice as long. in stead of plowing for 45 mins before my low voltage light comes on, i will be a good 1.5 hours and then it will come on...then i will still have the same problem?

12. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

As for the alt idea yes the 160a would be the one to go with. I was talking about bumping the output of the alt up to say 200amps. This is when issures arise.

The second battery stops the alternator from full fielding so much. This meaning running at 100% out put. Sure in time if you in a tight lot the batteries might run down a bit but with sustained rpm the batteries will rechage themselves back to 100%. The plow will even work faster with the added battery and amps!!!