1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

04 ram 2500 rear brakes

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by elite1msmith, Mar 4, 2010.

1. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

seems that the drivers rear wheel has a brake smell coming from it, got out of the truck , and i saw some smoke. so i assume that the caliper is frozen up.

being my first gen 3 ram , is this a common problem with these trucks?

besides replacing the whole caliper, any other solutions?

havnt removed the wheel yet, but looking from the inside, it looks to be in pretty good shape, normal rust, but not too bad. pads have life in them. rotors look decent.

2. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

My 03 Dodge 2500 had a stuck caliper when I bought it. I don't know how common it is but the truck had sat so I wasn't surprised. New caliper was only $60. In my case, pads and rotors had to be replaced. Also burnt up an ABS line because it had been driven with the stuck caliper!! That line was $70, but they are only on the front so you don't have to worry about that.

3. Booman70

Booman70 Senior Member

mayb wheel seal leakin does it smell like gear oil just had to do mine for same reason

4. elite1msmith

from chicago

just pulled it off, the piston on the caliper had some rust on it, i may or may not have casued some damage to it pulling it off, so its getting replaced anyway. looked like the idside pad had some rust around the slider, might have caused it to get hung up

5. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

You can clean the caliper real good, hown the sleeves etc....but they still wont feel like a new one I dont think

6. Cutter1

Cutter1 Senior Member

mine has done that, pull the slides off hit them with a wire wheel and lube them real good. I had one calpier leaking I had to replace.

7. elite1msmith

from chicago

well i have a new break problem now to look at. interesting.

last saturday i replaced the drives rear caliper, and put new pads on that side. i only had time to do that side because i had other items that had to be taken care of that day.

i just got home, and now i smell a pretty heavy break dust smell from the passenger side rear, also a bit of heat coiming from that rotor as well. seems like that one is now stuck?