1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

'04 Powerstroke

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Slicer Al, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Slicer Al

Slicer Al Junior Member
    from WI

I found an '04 F-250 crew cab with 126,000 miles and loaded with options.

The dealer says that the air to air cooler is bad and gets antifreeze in the engine. They are asking $9000 as is. I do not know awhole lot about diesel engines but have been thinking about making the switch. I am mechanical inclinded with gas engines, and do all of my own maintance.

Is this an easy fix on a scale of 1-10, (10 being very difficult, professional help)?
    Is this truck with the price and the effort of fixxing?
  2. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

ther might be more wrong than just the air cooler. Those engines are known for bad headgaskets as well. i would do some reasearch on them beacuse it could end up to be a real headache to fix. I know to do headgaskets you have to pull the motor out or take off the cab. Im sure some other people will chime in becaus e they knoe more about than i do.
    good luck.
  3. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

I would expect to have to rebuild that engine, I would touch it when for 3 grand more you can find something that wouldn't require the work.

I have two of those 6.0's and they scare me just a little (both have had oil leaks fixed under warranty and one with coolant issues.)
  4. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Ding, Ding, Ding we have a winner. The dealer is trying to unload it to some shmuck. Don't be a shmuck. Rebuilds on those diesels start at about $6k and go up fro there. Why would you by it to rip out the motor to put in a gas? You could probably find an 04' with under 100K on it for less then 10-11k with a gas or 13-14k with a diesel.

5. csx5197

csx5197 Senior Member

Yeah I've heard horror stories of the 6.0s. One of my buddies had one and he basically kept taking it to the dealer constantly. The oil leak was something I remember him saying as well, along with a long list of other things. His dad actually had some pretty bad things happen to his 6.0, shortly after purchase basically died then got lemon law on it, got a new one and has pretty much had issues ever since. Their was a time when the coolant was coming everywhere (loose hose), but pretty sure he's had other issues. I'd stay away, look for a 7.3 if you can find one at that price.
  6. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

stay far away!!!!
  7. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

You better run so fast in the opposite direction of that truck as you can. Do NOT buy that truck!:nono:
  8. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

It was prob a chipped truck that some one blew the head gaskets out of and they traded it......
  9. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Thats what I was thinkin....;)
  10. TEX

TEX Senior Member

how can i say this DO NOT BUY THAT TRUCK03 AND 04 are the worst yrs for the 6.0 diesel its just a bad engine
  11. TEX

TEX Senior Member

antifreeze in the engine is super bad and will dilute the oil which will not protect the internals of the engine. who knows how much its been driven with bad oil......and the fact that the crankcase vents directly into the air intake, post air filter and pre turbo, so now u have oil and antifreeze in your turbo and intercooler. just not a good thing RUN