1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

04 HD 2500 gas - no starter spin

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Cosmic Charlie, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Cosmic Charlie

Cosmic Charlie Senior Member

Full charged battery
    Turn key and get zero, just like when you turn the key to start it but truck is in drive or reverse ... lights dim ... no starter spin

more clues =

steering wheel no longer locks when key is removed, steering wheel can be turned with key out.
    sometimes the key in ignition dinger rings after key is pulled out, and if i put the key back in and remove the dinger may or will stop.
    the shifter now feels not smooth, like it needs grease.
    truck may start after it sits for days, like it never had a problem. or maybe not start.

I have beat on the steering column
    I have hit the starter with a hammer
    I have shifted the PRNDL back & forth while turning the key
    I have tried to start it in neutral, and while pulling the shifter hard to park.
    I have checked the battery connections and cleaned them up
    I have tried a different key.
    Maybe high humidity makes it worse - not sure about that.
    No codes except engine misfire when driven on the highway (rusted ground ? ) I've been told, but always runs very good, and bad on gas mileage ...
    Truck is very rusty ...

maybe a bad ignition switch ?
    maybe a bad safety neutral switch (where is it anyway) ?
    maybe a bad starter or solenoid or relay or ground

I have had it towed home, and later it started. and another day it didn't, and today it started.
    I will have it towed to my local repair guy one of these days, but haven't cause you can't find what's wrong if it starts for him ...

Oh - I have a small battery drain that will kill the battery in about 5 days if i don't drive it, so I have kept a battery tender on it for about a year, cheep fix, ... not my daily driver.

Your welcome to come over & fix it, and I'll pay ya ;^)

maybe I can try something else to narrow it down ... is there a way to jump the solenoid to get it to start (spin over) with the ignition key in the on position ?

btw - I went shopping for a new or newer used 3/4 ton today ... not cheep - UGH
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Couple things. First, the steering wheel never did lock. Locking columns haven't been used in the GM trucks since 2002. But don't feel alone, many owners aren't even aware of it...

Does the starter relay click in the underhood fuse box when you attempt to crank the engine? If not then I'd suspect the ignition switch itself (a very common failure prone part BTW) or a defective NSBU switch on the trans. Both can be checked with a test light and a helper to see if the command is getting there and going through.

Defective ignitions switches are also known to cause engine misfires, "ghost chimes", and dead batteries too....hint hint. Not that it's the only issue but very likely a contributer.
  3. honda12967

honda12967 Member

Did you try to jump the starter, it sounds like a broken wire somewhere doesnt sound like the starters bad though.
  4. honda12967

honda12967 Member

Does this mean your going to be selling it cheap :)
  5. Cosmic Charlie

Cosmic Charlie Senior Member

original starter finally died, but death was intermitent. worked some days but not others ...

Still have 15 -30 milliamp draw, that varies from 15 -30 - 15 ... when monitoring the draw ...
    so back to the battery tender ..

mice ate some of the wires under the fuse panel under the hood, and got them repaired as well ... soldered in some replacements ...

ready to go ... thanks
  6. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

I had a problen on a 2004 GM truck that turned out to be a bad connection where the ground from the battery connected to the engine block, a quick way to tell if this is the case is to try jumping it battery to battery if truck doesn't turn over remove the negative jumper cable from the dead trucks battery and connect it somewhere on the engine making sure you get a good ground, if truck turns over you know its the ground wire, it's in a PITA place to disconnect and wire brush but since doing it no more problems.