1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

04 HD 2500 6.0 gas - Alternator noise

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Cosmic Charlie, Oct 16, 2010.

1. Cosmic Charlie

Cosmic Charlie Senior Member

just 102,000 on the original, now noisy at start up and occasionally during running -

bearing going ? can it be lubed ? how long till it dies ..? How much $ ? How difficult ?

Thanks

2. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

Are you sure its the alternator? I think on mine it was the idler pulley that was making a racket. I dont remember how much it was though.

3. Cosmic Charlie

how can I know whether it's the idler or alt ?

4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Take the belt off and spin each pulley by hand, see if either makes noise. Also check for play in the idler pulley spring arm its mounted on to make sure there isn't a lot of play in it. Mine was shot in my 97 and it made a ton of noise eventually. Also if you got any heavy moisture under the hood (from mudding, etc) you could have corrosion in the alternator...I also have had that problem!

When you take the belt off check for dirt or junk in that as well. Has the serp belt ever been changed?

5. Cosmic Charlie

my belt was changed about 2 years ago when I did the water pump ...

6. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

See lots of ac tensioners and ac tensioner pulleys go bad.

7. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

I have a lot of tension ...I wonder if I am going bad.....

8. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

wet a rag and sqeeze it out over the pully when the truck is running to see if it momentarily stops sqeeking

9. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

It is pretty easy to replace the tensioner, idler, or alternator on these motors. I did the idler, tensioner, and belt on my old 6.0 and it didnt take very long. The small belt on the bottom of the motor is another story however. I found my squeaky pulley by spraying them one at a time with WD-40 until the noise momentarily went away. I replaced the idler the first time with a parts store one, and it didnt last long. I replaced it soon after with a delco part, only a few dollars more.

10. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Some parts stores have life time replacement parts .....

Some thing to look in to...

I've had good luck with Advance Auto...

11. Cosmic Charlie

I checked my alt today, real bad bearing when spun by hand, adjuster pulley noisy too, ac belt cracked, ...

will be fixing all 3

$$$

12. Cosmic Charlie

Repair costs from my repair shop ...

Delco Alt 225
    AC Belt 30
    Tensioner Pulley 32
    Labor 133

whatever - overall - truck has been good to me

let it snow let it snow let it snow .....