1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

04 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 1500 Plow recommendation?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jjklongisland, Nov 15, 2007.

1. jjklongisland

jjklongisland Senior Member

Hi guys, I am putting a deposit on an 04 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab... What plow do you guys recommend for this truck. I live on Long Island and only plow for about 8 to 10 hours per storm max and dont beat on my trucks.... I also have no idea about cost either. I know I want a plow that is a quick mount (one that everything comes off the truck, I have only owned classic meyers) and I think a 7.5' straight plow will work fine for the lots i do. How much do you think a new one would cost? How much should I pay for a used one? Does anyone know any reasonably priced dealers on L.I.? Thanks for your help...

2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Not on a Crew cab.

3. jjklongisland

Why, according to Western, Fisher and Meyer they all have plows that fit it using there module...

I see you have a 650 lb plow on a wrangler...

Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  4. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

good post.... i love it. i was WAITING for it.

haha.:)

5. I think that a blizzard 8611 should do just fine,...............

6. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

id say the fisher ld 7.5. id really rather see you find a eight foot that is really light weight though. i dont think boss has one either. does snoway make a light duty eight foot? nope.

looked at all i think except curtis and hiniker. i dont think a eight foot light duty exists but you can try them too. i think you would be better off with something wider than a seven and half if one exists that will work on your truck.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  7. jjklongisland

Now I am a little nervous, I gave the dealer a deposit last night on it but it was raining and couldnt get underneath her to check her out... She is a really clean truck with 43000 miles and not a scratch on her fully loaded every option and its a really good deal... The only thing is this morning I went to the dealer and looked underneath her and I can tell there was definately a previous plow installed. Now I know I want to plow with the truck but buying a newer truck and not knowing how beat to crap it is really scares me. She drives good but I dont know if the previous owner plowed his driveway with it or worked for the Town plowing 35 hours straight. I know how I treat my equipment and when I plow I do not beat on my trucks, I dont know what to do... This truck will be my daily driver... Maybe I am just being paranoid... Any advice?

8. canoebuildah

canoebuildah Senior Member

I wouldn't buy a recent used vehicle that was used as a plow if I didn't know the owner. But that's just me. Way too many unknowns to take a chance. I know that some guys around here buy new trucks every three years and beat the living snot out of it in the meantime.

On a different note, perhaps the owner decided that the crewcab was too long with too small of a turning radius to be an efficient plow truck.

But I would love to have a crewcab pickup as my daily driver. I traded in my supercab F150 a few years ago on a Dodge Durango due to the birth of my daughter. Wait, that's not true. It was due to my pregnant wife insisting that a pickup wouldn't make a good family vehicle. I still regret trading it in. However, I don't need a daily personal driver as I use company vehicles. The Durango drives six miles to day care once a day and get's used on weekend trips.

9. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

i mean other then rub marks on the frame how can u tell are the frame rails twisted ur bent down or up. bumper hang down? tranny clunk or shift funny? trans fluid smell burnt? if the answer was no to those then its probably still very solid. i wouldnt go bigger then 7 6 they fit places better and for 1/2 ur safer to save that 100lbs for pushing.

10. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

I've got a 06 Crew Silverado and have a Snoway 26 series on it. Does great and plows fine. Little bit long for some tight driveways though, but don't say it can't be done.

11. jjklongisland

Yeah I am having my mechanic (who happens to be my best friend) look at it tomorrow before i sign the deal. I can tell there was a plow on her because last night when I was researching new plows most of the dealers said in order to install a plow on my truck, the front air dam and to be notched to allow clearance fo the frame. And when I looked under the the truck sure enough it had a notch on both side under the tow hooks... The frame was also ground down and it looks like tere was a couple of holes drilled into the frame... The tranny is tight and motor is tight, front end feels fine but i agree with the statement not wanting to purchase a plow truck as a daily driver from someone who I didnt know. Its not like I am trying to find a plow truck for under $5000 and only use it as a plow truck and a spare vehicle, I just am sceptical about buying a newer truck that had a plow on it. For all I know the guy might have just had a small poly plow to plow his driveway... The deal is almost to good to pass up plus they are giving me top dollar for my trade...

12. theplowmeister

from MA

EUP and it works GREAT moves twice as much snow as my F150 did.
    This question comes up so often I gave up on typing the full story over and over.
    see my other post.
    http://www.plowsite.com/showpost.php?p=426978&postcount=33

put the plow you want on it :) and don't beet on it :salute: drive carefully because you are illegal:eek:

Don't do as I do ... do as I say!!

13. jjklongisland

What are you talking about, ILLEGAL? In what state? there are many DOT's. I have never heard of such a thing... Do you have anything to support this statement...

And as far as my usage, I only plow 1 large complex and a big church... They are within 2 miles of my house and I never drive my trucks with the plows on them unless I am pushing snow and 90% of the time its at night and noones on the the roads except the plows... So you are saying that if I had a regular cab 3/4 ton I would be fine, what if I had a 3 yard sander in the back and a 10 foot steel plow... I am sure that would be over weight... Doesnt make sense....

If my truck is illegal for being over the front axle gvrw I am sure your jeep is twice over that load... The payload of a wrangler is not all that much...

So it would also be illegal to plow with a suburban or an excursion or a tahoe or any suv... I dont by that, I know alot of the local Towns around here hire subs all the time and they have to go through an inspection, I know personally people that have suburbans that seat 8 passengers with plows on them that plow for the Town... I highly doubt a Town with a huge population would allow that to happen if it were illegal.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2007
  14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

There is no law against installing a plow on a crew cab. You can not install a plow that causes the FVWR to exceed 62% of the GVWR. Why they limit many 1/2 tons to 7.5' foot plows.

The manufacturers are changing the mounting systems so that you can not "over" plow a truck. The days of buying the same mount system for Jeeps as for 3/4 ton PU are rapidly headed for a close. The factories don't want to even be a secondary when you get sued for preforming an unsafe act. Any good lawyer (even a bad one) will have a field day with a grossly over loaded vehicle. If you have more plow then allowed on the truck they will claim that the issue was the direct result of knowingly installing too heavy a plow creating an unsafe condition that was the direct cause of the incident.

I notice the Vee blade jeep with the lead bumpers makes no mention of an aftermarket improved braking system. If I were the lead counsel we would weigh the jeep and start with owner modified jeep to greatly exceed the factory designed braking capacity, and with depraved indifference (lawyers really talk like that) intentionally placed the general public at risk by operating this illegally modified vehicle on the public roadway in violation of statues (fill in the blanks.) I have my doubts that one would get to the trial phase, they would probably settle after depositions. If it could be shown that the defendant knowingly and with blatant disregard for public safety modified a vehicle beyond it's design limits, and that with depraved indifference the owner/operator endangered the general public though the operation of equipment modified by the owner/operator to dangerously exceed the designed operating parameters of the vehicle, the defendants insurance would most likely want to settle. The plaintiff on the other hand would be seeing visions of 7 figures dancing in their heads and might insist on a trial if they can not get the $ they want.

So put a plow on your half ton but don't exceed the recommended limits.

15. theplowmeister

from MA

Basher

its not a V plow..... I did improve the brakes, I have so many changes I would fill a page Listing them..... If you read my post I did say do what you want, I did NOT say you cant or you should not...

Basher says
    "If you have more plow then allowed on the truck they will claim that the issue was the direct result of knowingly installing too heavy a plow creating an unsafe condition that was the direct cause of the incident. "

You made my case for crew cabs and plows. I am NOT saying don't do it... just be informed..

So basher you never went 35mph in a 30mph zone

16. Jbowe

Jbowe Senior Member

Which Plow

NO WAY!!!!! I wounldn;t put any plow on a 1500 chev crew cab. Your asking for nothing but problems.

17. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

JKlongisland what does your truck weigh front and rear? what is the GVWR and axle weight ratings?
    i think you will find that you are pretty close to all the ratings with just an empty truck. when you do find out your trucks weight you can then make a more informed decision on what plow to get.

18. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Dude calm down I don't disapprove of what you're doing I'm just pointing out the possible ramifications. Jeep builds an excellent platform for modification. I was simply using a handy example to make a point. Most of us run above the registered limits of our trucks and could find ourselves in the same situation. My 2500 Dodge is over the limit with a 9'1" snoway vee blade and no ballast.

19. theplowmeister

from MA

Sorry I gess i got a little testy:D

20. jjklongisland

Unfortunately I dont know the front and rear numbers... I still havent purchased the truck yet. I gave them a deposit pending my mechanics inspection... We inspected it today and as much as its a nice truck with no body work there definately is an issue with the front end (i think its the rack) cause you feel it in the wheel... There is also some wetness around the rear diff and the tranny fluid is brand new.. Truck has 43000 miles and I wonder why someone changed the tranny fluid right before they traded the truck in... Anyway, the dealer is going to have it looked at by the gmc service center and fix any of the problems... I am really stuck between a rock and a hard place because they are giving me alot of money on my trade in and selling me the truck for about 4000 less than they are going for, he is also giving me a 4 year 48000 mile bumper to bumper warranty... I told him to address the issues my mechanic found and we will inspect it and test drive it again to make sure it is fixed...

On another note, is there a poly plow that you guys could recommend for light commercial plowing...