1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

'04 GMC Dual Climate control heater issue

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Motorman 007, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Hi Guys,

My 2004 2500HD with dual climate controls (manual) has an issue. No matter where I put the slide selector, I get full hot heat. Yesterday was 70 degrees and obviously it was extremely noticable. I thought I had noticed something this winter but it was intermittent. I've done some searching but haven't been able to come up with anything concrete yet. I'm assuming it's a blend door or actuator issue. It does it on both sides, passenger and driver. Even with the AC on it full heat. I can't be the only one with this issue so what say you guys???
  2. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

Sounds like both actauators went out at the same time. The driver side is easy to get to. The pass. side is another story, you have to take the dash apart. Rockauto.com or gmpartsdirect.com have them much cheaper than what the dealer wants. I wasnt' able to find one for my wife's Yukon any where but the dealer, or online.
  3. Thanks for the response. I'm kinda trying to figure this out so I've got it apart a little bit. After checking some of the connections and such on the heater plenum in general, I pulled the middle part of the dash out. Undid the two connections to the DZ heater controls. Nothing found, really. Put it back together (you know what's coming next) and it works. GGRRRR. Both zones worked independent of each other as they are supposed to. So I wiggle wires, bang on the heater box, disconnect the main DZ controls like 20 times and can't get it to duplicate the condition again. Reinstall the glove box and the lower cover that covers the resistor area and turn it on. Now left side is all heat, no cool, and right side acts fine. I still have the dash apart at this point.
    Here's the kicker. If I unplug the control panel for 30 seconds and plug it back in everything works fine. I haven't seen anything in my research(online) that says the actual control panel and knobs/slides go bad. But I sort of feel like I'm putting it through some sort of reset when I do the unplug/plugin deal. Any thoughts on this info??
  4. vegaman04

vegaman04 Senior Member

Common issue, there is a way to calibrate them because they loose there center point. Try calibrating them first, then replace if not successful.

Turn key on, set one side to full heat, other side to full cool, wait 60 sec, then cycle key off. Repeat last step but reverse it, and then key on for the third time, and test and see if they are working. If not replace.
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
  5. Vegaman04,

Thanks so much. When you say replace do you mean the actuators or the controls?
  6. 06Sierra

from Maine

The actuators, the reset procedure he gave is for the actuators. One of the guys I work with had his pass. side do that. After he messed with it a little, it started working fine and has been since.
  7. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

''So I wiggle wires, bang on the heater box,''

That movie with Bruce Willis,with his team of oil drillers who go to the asteroid that's going to destroy the Earth comes to mind whenever I have to start banging on something for it to work.The Russian astronaut pushes aside the hot American astronaut babe after she can't get ignition on the takeoff and starts banging the controls and proclaims something with his accent to the effect ''American,Russian engineering,doesn't matter--when it doesn't work you just have to know how to treat it.'' I love that scene,can't remember the damn name of the movie now.
  8. That would be Armageddon.
  9. Thanks, that seems to have done the trick. Will keep and eye on it and report back if not. Thanks again...Plowsite comes through again.
  10. samjr

samjr Senior Member

i had the samething man

Did u try to unhook the bat
    B&B told me this unhook your bat for a hr or so i dont know what this does but it worked for me
  11. Since the above only lasted a day I guess I'll try the battery unhook procedure. My gut tells me I'm buying actuators.... RockAuto.com the right place????
  12. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Bingo.As to your real solution now,sorry I got sidetracked earlier,do disconnect BOTH batteries for about 10 minutes.I had the very same issue,it actually worsens with a plow as the front mounted sensor out by the radiator sends the wrong input to the computer,confusing it.If I want decent heat,sometimes I have to turn each knob to 88-90*.A few times it stayed there until I followed B&B's advice.I doubt very much if you need the actuators.
  13. Thanks. Mine are the manual slide type(no digital read-out) but I'll try it for sure.
  14. I'm Baaaaccck....

So "none of the above" is the selected resolution. Do I need actuators????
  15. 06Sierra

from Maine

How did the plug for the controls look? No signs of melting around the pins? Are the both still acting up or just one now? When I was having the issues with the yukon I found a different reset procedure. Put both on full cold, pull the hvac fuse and turn the key to run for one minute. Turn the key off and replace fuse. I will see if I can find a little more on that later today.
  16. Just the drivers side is acting up at this point. No burnt connections...all clean contacts. I will say that every time I unplug the connector from the control board, it works fine until I have to adjust the temp. Any more help is appreciated.
  17. 06Sierra

from Maine

I would say it's time for an actuator.
  18. I'm Back.....

So we haven't had any Spring weather here until today when it decided to go up to nearly 80 degrees. I haven't replaced the actuators.

I have the dash trim off and the HVAC panel loose. If I unplug the blue plug directly behind the temp sliders and plug it back in, the AC works nice and cool. When driving the vehicle for more than 20 minutes, all of a sudden the drivers side goes full heat and passenger side remains cold. I haven't touched the temp control when this happens. If I unplug the plug it will reset again. Still say actuator or control board???

19. 06Sierra

from Maine

Actuator. That's the same thing my Yukon did.
  20. 06,

Appreciate all of the help. Which actuator do I need, the air inlet, temperature, or mode control cam ? Don't want to buy the wrong one(s)