1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

04 (gen 3) speedo problems?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by elite1msmith, Nov 15, 2010.

1. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

04 ram 2500 4x4 hemi, short bed ext cab, 140k on it auto trans

speedo jumps around, and in some cases will stop working all togehter.

replaced the rear sensor, replaced the out put sensor on the trans

any help?

2. elite1msmith

from chicago

B&B? respectuflly request your input please!

3. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

more than likely the gauge cluster is bad. its not actually the cluster, but the stepper motor that operates the needle. you can buy the motors off ebay and dissect the cluster and repair it for much cheaper than buying a whole new cluster. if you have the mechanical aptitude.

4. elite1msmith

from chicago

Don't think it's that because the trans and crusie control jump around and follow the pattern of the needel

5. elite1msmith

from chicago

Bump to the top, still need some help? B&b you alive?

6. M1N1TRK

M1N1TRK Member

I am going to say the same thing with trqjnky that its your gauge cluster I had the same issue with my dodge (same year) mine even went to the point that the head lights would randomly turn on and off by themselves (not fun at night) i brought it in and a new cluster was needed, there are a lot of little computers in those things now and when one goes bad thats the end of them, i think it was almost 600 buck for a brand new one so maybe look online or in junk yards for one

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Get a scanner on it. First checking for any stored codes related to VSS input, if there is one or more then you still have an issue with the VSS itself or the wiring to it. If you find no codes take it for a test drive with the scanner attached and watch the scanner for an accurate/consistent indicated road speed. If it shows fine through the scanner then the issue is in the gauge cluster.

Don't see too many Dodge cluster issues but it can and does happen.

8. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Perhaps the next time it is acting up try to engage the cruise control. This might tell you if the vehicle is reading the speed corectly and it is just the spedo cluster that is acting silly. This thought is because the CC input speed is more than likely not from the cluster but rather where the cluster gets its input.... Just another idea before you confirm the issue with the scanner.

When was the last time you had the truck flashed?? Had an issue with my overhead and it was reading all over the place. Once the truck was flashed never read crazy ever again (other than the lie o meter =+3MPG) lol

9. b&b landscapes

b&b landscapes Member

im having same problem, but my speedo quits and abs light and brake lihgt comes on... solid yesterday, then today its doing it on and off. maybe i have (AND YOU TOO) a bad ground somewhere as was suggested to me

10. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

If the rear VSS has been changed then that is not it, if it were bad the speedometer would not work and the tranny would go in limp mode. Most likely the cluster as mentioned before. Put a scan tool on it and do a sweep test, also check the plug on the back of the cluster for signs of excessive heat or melting.

11. elite1msmith

from chicago

ok heres what i know

i have not had a chance to scan it but i will try to get that done shortly

speedo, some days it reads zero others it will bounce around and come close to reading correctly.

it doesnt seem like it changes if i hit any bumps or anything like that. doesnt change while turning or breaking. It does seem to either work, read zero, or bounc around imeadeatly after i start the truck...in other words, if it reads zero...its gonna read zero the whole trip till i shut the truck off...then its a roll of the dice what it will do next.

trans - shits according to what the needle says....so if im doing 50 with my foot on the gas...then the needle drops to 20 (while im still doing 50) the trans thinks im doing 20 with my foot heavy on the gas, and so it down shits the trans.

i can not turn on the C. Control if the needle does not at least read 30 mph. which leads me to belive that the trans and CC are getting the wrong info? in other words its not the dash? but i could be wrong

rear sensor has been replaced.

I was told once that i new battery seemed to fix a guys similar issue. well i know my battery was going bad, and actually the other day while raising the plow, the ABS light came on and went off when ever i moved the plow......so i replaced the battery

however, with this new battery , i have noticed that my dash lights dim ALOT while raising my plow and the voltage gauge on the truck dips down pretty fare when i do move the plow...about 1-2 sec after the voltage returns to normal state. but no abs light as of now

prior to changing the battery today, the speedo had been reading zero since the snow storm. we changed the battery and for at least the 3 block test drive the speed was bouncing around.

so i will go get it tested, but i heard one guy say he needed a new computer. i hope that isnt the case here