1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

04' Gauge problem

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Newdude, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

In my 04 Sierra 2500hd, the tachometer sticks. I can be idling, and the tach needle will be fine for a little, then as I drive, when at idle, lets say at a light, it gets stuck at 4k, even 6k rpm. When I bought the truck, the previous owner gave me a letter from GM about the problem. In that letter, it states that if any of the symptoms were to occur, the truck should be taken in for the repair of replacing the IPC. Also, it states that the IPC is covered by a 7yr/70,000 mile warranty. Being an 04, with 34,730, the truck has atleast 2yr/36,XXX remaining on that. Being the second owner however, am I still covered?? Also, if the IPC is replaced, is the DIC/odometer a part of that?? Thanks very much. :)

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes even as the second owner the cluster is still covered by the 7/70 since it's a safety related recall.

The odometer is internal to the cluster so yes, it will get changed along with it. The current mileage will of course stay the same.

3. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

The almighty B@B stikes again!! Thanks very much for the response. I set up an appointment for tomorrow...I hope it goes smooth!!

EDIT: Sorry for sounding dumb...but how does the mileage remain with a new cluster?? Is it saved in the PCM??

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  4. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

The dealer will have it reburned into the new cluster ;)

5. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

Alright...dealer called me and told me that they ordered a new cluster and that it would be fixed free of charge because of the special policy.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Good to hear they're taking care of you. Not that I had a doubt. :angel:

7. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

Just FYI, it's a special policy, not a recall. They're being covered as a customer satisfaction measure because there were so many problems with them. Dealers actually have the ability to authorize replacement beyond the 7/70, in case somebody else has the problem and is out of the coverage period.

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

And I'll also note that the bulletin only applies to certain years. Simply because you have a GM truck with gage issues doesn't automatically guarantee a free replacement. But on the '03-'04's there's seldom an issue getting coverage.

9. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

i had my 04 covered in a days time, Scared the **** out of me when it went crazy at 3am while plowing a storm. got the letter in the mail the next day. That was perfect timing.