1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

04 F350 wont crank

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by ducaticorse, Feb 11, 2013.

1. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

So about to shove off friday night to commence ops and low and behold, my plow shorts out my truck AGAIN. I find the frayed wire, repair it, then replace the fuse it tripped, ok, back to normal. Truck runs fine for 30 minutes, then shuts down again. Same fuse, but it can't be the same wire. Anyway, I take the plow off the truck, back it away, then shut it off. Go to move it again, and nada. all lights come on as normal, but zero ignition. All light testable fuses are good. Not sure how to test the relays though. Ive also heard rumors that a loose shifter lever can short the ignition out, (which I have). First need to get it running, then need to bullet proof this set up before next storm, I lost a cpl thousand dollars last storm not having it available. As far as the plow is concerned, I'm buying fresh wire plow side to install please advise

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

you ck all the fuses under the dash? did you look at the trans range sensor,,,see if its burnt etc...
    as far as plow shorting out the tk,,,,where do you have the plow "hotwire" hooked into?

3. ducaticorse

from we

The plow first time had a loose connection at the pump on the positive. The second time it had a frayed sheath on a wire to a solinoid. The truck fuses check out, but the relays I dont know how to test. Have not looked at the trans range sensor. Ill have to look that up because I have no idea what that is.Truck was running tops before I hooked the farkin plow to it.

4. dieselss

Might be the signal wire to starter as well. Might need to crawl under there and test light the small wire at the starter while someone "cranks" it.

5. ducaticorse

from we

Anything else, I'm going to start working on it today...

6. dieselss

You could psi wash it underneath if you wanted to. Lol

7. ducaticorse

from we

Gee thanks.. I'm actually taking the bed off in the spring and making a flat bed dump body. I'll be scraping and undercoating the frame when I do that.

8. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Netural switch wont let it start either
    Get a code reader see if showing any codes

9. ducaticorse

from we

Thats why I mentioned the loose shifter.... Dash is showing no codes, maybe a flike?

10. dieselss

Just b/c s.e.s ain't on don't mean no codes.
    When you put into rev, do you get b-up lights??

11. ducaticorse

from we

Will check on that today.

12. ducaticorse

from we

Cant get the truck into reverse without it starting. Lights do not dim when keyed so no power going to starter. Switched out the starter relay with another one, and no luck there either. Checked fuse number 2 and that is good. All other fuses have been checked. Pulled steering column open, and no frayed wires. Havent been under the truck yet.

13. lilpusher

lilpusher Senior Member
    from Indiana

I'd check why you can't get it to shift to reverse. With key on you should be able to run through the gears. The shift position sensor may be causing your problems

14. dieselss

X2 on lil.pusher. should be able to get it outta park with 1 or 2 turns of the key foot on brake I assume ?

15. ducaticorse

from we

Cool, I'll look into that. Is this the neutral safety/trans position sensor switch?

16. dieselss

Yes. But that's not Gunna stop you from going into gear. Not 100%. On the ford autos,,,but gm you can turn key one click and go into any gear,,,even without pressing in the brake

17. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

I'm not familiar with Ford's sensor but I can't imagine that it would prevent shifting. I would look at the key cylinder, its linkages, etc.

If it wasn't concurrent with the not starting, I'd say not being able to shift is a matter of the brake-shift interlock or brake switch, but I doubt any of that would affect starting (unless the Ford requires you to step on the brake while starting, the newest Ford I've driven was a 2002 and it didn't).

Or it could be two separate problems, possibly the brake-shift interlock got screwed up while poking around looking for the starting problem.

I would definitely be probing stuff with a meter or test light...start with the ignition, accessory, and starter wires near the steering column, probe them while operating the key cylinder. You can look them up at the12volt.com or a similar site by looking for remote starter wire colors, or at a remote starter manufacturer's site (Bulldog Security's site usually has good info), or of course in a factory service manual. If everything checks out near the key cylinder then follow the system and probe it at other places to make sure it's live where it needs to be live. I assume you've already probed the input to the solenoid (relatively small wire I imagine)?

Are you sure the truck is in Park? If the shift linkage is messed up, and depending on where the neutral safety sensor is, the truck could be in gear and the starting system is working properly.

18. Antlerart06

Can even be the shifter cable They known break the clips at the tranny I have replace one when it was broke You couldnt get it out of park you had crawl under it and put cable back in holder
    If you get it out of park it should start in netural

19. ducaticorse

from we

It was the starter solenoid. Come on guys no one entioned that!!!!

20. Antlerart06

A starter solenoid

If you couldnt run thru the gears I wouldnt think starter solenoid be the problem
    But on these trucks who knows any more

Glad you have it fix