1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

04 F350 V-10 Gas Guzzler

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by luckyLandscapin, Nov 25, 2005.

1. luckyLandscapin

luckyLandscapin Junior Member

My V-10 Gets 6-7 mpg with a loaded 6x12 Enclosed trailer is there anything (intake, chip,ect...) that will help with gas mileage

2. ChipsEarthWorks

ChipsEarthWorks Senior Member
    from CT

i have a 95 dodge v10 and i get about the same maybe alittle more with my dump trailer (6x12ft 2200 pounds empty) you could try a k&N intake kit,also try a aftermarket exhaust, yours I think the major ones make one for it like flowmaster,gibson,magnaflow mine was alittle harder to find one for. If you get better air flow in and better air flow out it helps increase you fuel milage,BUT just remeber you are driving a V10 so you have to get use to getting okay milage espacilly when towing,hauling,plowing. try summit racing .com or Jegs.com and that should help in locating the chips,intakes,exhaust,and free flowing air filters. good luck

3. nailerdog

nailerdog Member
    from WI

I had a v-10 in an Excursion and got about the same mileage pulling a trailer. About 10-11 without.

4. fordboy

fordboy Senior Member

mpg

:yow!: Im getting about nine with my f250 v10 empty, I have a buddy in Lansing,mi that has one and he has the hypertech, k&n fipk kit on it and said before he put a 8in lift on it he was gettin around 14 with it empty after the mods. He was running 305/70/16 tires on it

5. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

i don't have a v-10 but i do know that more air and and a free-er flowing exhaust WILL NOT increase gas mileage. C'mon.... think about it. If you increase air you have to increase fuel also, or your car will run lean. SO the car will compensate with more fuel, any newer car anyways.

The best way to save on gas is to leave it the way it is. Car manufacturers are trying to keep mileage up also and they know what they're doing. Check your tire pressure and try to keep your foot off the gas.

An even better tip would be not to buy a v10. What did you expect when you bought a 10 cylinder truck?

6. NDdude

NDdude Junior Member

^^^^ what he said! Granted my truck is only the 5.4 but before I did any work to it I was averaging 24 mpg or so on the highway. After I chipped, full exhaust and intaked the truck I'm probably around 18 or less. The more flow your truck has the more gas its going to need, you'll definatly feel a boost in power but you'll be spending a lot more money on fuel.

If you are really interested in aftermarket parts, Airaid makes a really nice intake system (~$250) and a throttle body spacer (~$100). And then your choice of pre-engineered aftermarket exhaust, personally I prefer Magnaflow because of the tone it gives but they are all pretty much the same. One thing I will definatly say is to spend the extra money and get the pre-engineered exhaust kits, don't just go down to the local muffler shop and have them wack off the muffler, Y the pipe and run tips out the back, it looks cheep, the hangers break often (atleast in my experience) and the flow will be uneven.