1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

04 F350 CC LB PSD...Will it Plow??

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by spindrift, Jan 10, 2005.

1. spindrift

spindrift Junior Member
    from Oregon

Hi Guys,

New to snowplowing as I'm moving to central Oregon where it snows! :)

I have an 04 F-350 CrewCab LongBed Lariat 4x4 with a 6.0l diesel. Is this a decent plow rig? It does drive like a school-bus for turning radius. I have an add-a-leaf on the front of the rig to bring the front up and level when I have my EagleCap camper on it. Will this suffice for the "plow package" that people talk about? Since its a diesel, it already has a steering stabalizer on it.

The westerns look pretty nice....I'd just be using the plow to plow about 600 feet of driveway and maybe some neighbor's driveways as a friendly gesture. I guess the V-Plows would be pretty nice for an extra $600 or so. Then again, you can get a lot of $20 pushes for a $4000 investment! The snow in central oregon can be heavy and slushy since its coastal weather that brings it off the Pacific coast over the cascades.

Also, how is the torqueshift tranny holding up under plowing conditions? I hear that plowing is very hard on trucks in general.

Any feedback is appreciated!

2. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

All of my plow trucks are reg cabs, but my father has 2 04 F-350 CC LB, FX4 duallys that he has plows on. They are great for parking lots and long drive ways. His trucks have the X-code springs and airbags in the front, and he is running Western MVP 9 1/2' on both trucks. As for the torqshift tranny, he hasn't had any problems yet, but there has been talk about some trannys having problems with the planetry gears coming out of place. There is another post on the board in here somewhere with more info about that. Hope this helps
  3. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

As I understand it the planetary issue is not due to plowing. I have heard of some TS transmission cases cracking due to plowing. You might want to do a fair bit of investigating on that issue. I also believe you might be exceeding your front axle GAWR with the plow because your truck is a CC, Longbed, PSD. This weight issue is a common problem due to all the extra weight in CC diesels. But then again if you do not go driving around with the blade on all the time the effects are minimal I would think. Ask Ford about the trans and plow weight issue, a plow dealer will just sell you something that fits. They do not care about your truck warranty or do they know what your front axle GAWR is.
  4. spindrift

spindrift Junior Member
    from Oregon

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your input. Yes, I'll take things cautiously...not into voiding warranty's on a 40K truck!

Plow on...
  5. I checked with the guys who put my western 8' ultra on my 98 dodge and they said I can put up to a 9 footer on a new F250 crew cab, short bed deisel with the plow prep package (they won't put ANY plow on a comparible Chevy). I know they did a lot of beefing up in the front end for 05 so your 04 might have a lower GAWR. I think the 250 cc deisel with the prep pkg is 6000lbs. Don't know if any of this info helps you but just thought I would pass it along.