1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

04 f350 calipers/brakes

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by fincat, Dec 13, 2006.

1. fincat

fincat Junior Member

just wondering if anyone has had to replace front calipers and brakes on a f350 with 38,000 miles on it? The dealer gave me a price of $900.00 to do this work. I am no mechanic but that seems like a lot of mulla!
  2. starc

starc Senior Member

Not sure on the year of your F350. My 82 F350 costs me about $150 to do myself. Very simple job providing you know how to bleed the brakes once you get the new calipers installed. Just put new rotors and pads on mine, calipers where fine. Rotors and pads cost me under $100 and about 45 minutes of my time.
  3. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

Ford does not make the caliper themselves, get good aftermarket ones from a real auto parts store and save yourself a ton of money.

$900 is crazy. I did calipers, pads, rotors, AND lines and it was not even half that.

I once bought rotors from my auto parts store and under a little bit of semi-adhesive goo was a FORD EMBLEM!

on a side note- 38k miles is just wrong to be needing that much brake work, I would check into it, maybe you only need pads.
  4. redneck farmer

redneck farmer Senior Member

I've got an 04 F-350 powerstroke with 28,000 miles on it and the brakes aren't even near ready for replacement. $900 sounds too high though even for a dealer. I just had my wife's 2002 Ford Escapes front pads and rotors replaced with them doing the work and it was only $400.
  5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Why are they telling you it needs the caliper's replaced too? Are the brake dragging? Or does it pull to one side or the other under braking? With only 38,000mi on it I find it hard to believe it need's caliper's already.
  6. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

maybe one of the pistons are stuck, most dealers are not mechanics anymore- just parts replacers.

"customer complains of problems with the brakes"

ok, better change pads, rotors, lines, calipers, etc....

and my favorite line "you must be hard on the truck"..... well that is why I bought a TRUCK
  7. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

Most likely the caliper mounting frame has one of the slide pins frozen/rusted. You can buy just the frame from Ford or replacement upgraded pins. This is a common failure on these trucks. If you have access to a torch and a vise you can fix yours with new pins. If not get the new frame and use your caliper.
  8. fincat

fincat Junior Member

thanks guys for all your input, last nite i picked my truck up from the dealer with no work done on it, today i will be visiting the small garages and would probably get an honest answer. :gunsfiring:
  9. Beej1024

Beej1024 Junior Member

I know I have found allot of information out there that F250/F350's are known for brake problems. I have a 2003 F250SD and brought it back to the deal with 15k on it because the rotors were warped. They turned them under warranty, and explained that it was a known issue. I now have 30k on the truck, and the same thing is happening.I baby my truck, 4 years 30k of powder puff driving.

On another board there are tons of posts about an aftermarket setup called ART, Applied Rotor Technology. They use a slotted rotor and freeze the rotors too. Everything I read seems good, but the parts (with PF pads) is about $700 for my truck, then you have to put them on. They claim 200% more life, better stopping, and some other things. Once I have the coin I think I may try it. Even from new the brakes on my 250 have been terrible.

I also just replaced my OEM shocks on the FX4 package with a set of Blistiens, MAN what a diffrence in ride...
  10. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

What specifically did the dealer say was wrong?? Or what symptoms is the truck having with the brakes?
  11. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

There's a reason that there also known as "stealerships".
  12. fincat

fincat Junior Member

the following is right off the "estimate" sheet given to me from the dealer:

translate this and tell me what you guys think:dizzy:
  13. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Can't tell you technically about the measurements, but I hope they were going to supply the Vaseline with that estimate.

Does that help with the translation?
  14. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

means like I said- "ummmmmmmm.......lets just change it all"
  15. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

1.Right front rotor is pitted (note mechanic can't spell) from either porous casting or rust.
    2.The pins that the caliper slides on are seized not allowing it to move like it should. This leads to uneven pad wear. (It is common like nevrnf said)
    3. The pads with the least material left measured 2mm on the front axle, and 4mm on the rear axle. (not much left, the excessive pad wear is due to stuck calipers)
    4. For some reason the mechanic repeated the above statements, or made a typo and meant to say the same is wrong with the Left Front.
    5.Mechanic recommended replacing front and rear pads, both front rotors, both caliper brackets, and both sets of front slider pins.
    Assuming the mechanic's diagnosis is correct, and considering he/she works under time constraints set by labor standards I would say I would do the same. BUT if I was doing my own brakes and time was not an issue then I would reuse the caliper brackets after reconditioning and install new slider pins. I would use new rotors due to the tendency for them to warp thus cutting them makes warping even more likely. The quoted parts to be replaced seems to be OK, just the final price is rather high.
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2006