1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

04 F350 C/C Long Box 6.0 Diesel 4X4 - Can't put a plow on?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by zorro7, Sep 6, 2007.

1. zorro7

zorro7 Junior Member

Morning all. Looking into getting a plow for my truck. Made a few calls and I've got them telling me that I can't because of the weight in the front end is too much cause of the diesel engine. They're telling me that even with a lighter/smaller blade that it is the mount that is what weighs the most. Now I'm not looking to make a career out of this since we don't get that much snow. But when we do......people will pay out the nose to clear a lot. I'd consider myself an 'opportunistic' snow plower.
    Would like to get some feedback from anyone that would have some suggestions. I'm thinking I'd go and get a lite 'cheapy' plow or even weld myself up something from scrap.
    The other issue I have is that I have a Warn M15000 with a Trans4mer mount that will apparently be a problem too for mounting. Any and all feedback would be great! Thanks in advance.
  2. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

i think thier full of it try looking on the major plow sites they normally have tools to help you find a blade . but one word of advise don't settel for cheap and lite on a 1 ton or 3/4 ton thats for sure
  3. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

Find out if the truck has the "plow prep" package from Ford. If so, you're all set. Ford is the ONLY one who offers the plow prep on CC LB diesels. Period. You shouldn't have any problems.

Also, if it doesn't, you can upgrade the springs and alternator for a pretty cheap price and then you're pretty much set too.
  4. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

that is nonsense.
    I have a 99 Ford F250 super duty diesel, and i currently have an 8' pro western with wings, and am going to an 8'2" Boss V.

It will hold it.
  5. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

No plow on an F350?? Nonsense. You can hang a 9 foot Boss Vee or equivalent.

A F350 is a WORK truck. This ain't your daddies F150.
  6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

If you don't have the plow prep on the ford diesel you have to get the fan clutch changed.
  7. UglyTruck

UglyTruck Senior Member

If I am not mistaken there is a DOT regulation about % of weight than is allowed to ride on the front axle vs. the rear axle. on the extended cab and the crew cab diesels the weight of the plow is enough to excede the front end percentage..

I have been told that I can only put an 8' blade on my truck for the same reason....it says in my owners manual that a plow, or winch, can only weigh 480 pounds and that I can only travel at speeds under 35MPH with it installed....

the simple answer is to call around to different dealers and find one that will install it. the issue is not with the plow actually fitting, it is with weight distribution....if need be then see if they will install a counterweight in the bed to offset the weight and get the percentages where they need to be...
  8. stangman35

stangman35 Senior Member

my truck a 2006 f-350 crew dually,diesel

i have 6,000 pound front springs

my truck was weighed at truck stop 8300lb gross, front 4880 ,rear 3420

So I should be able to hang up to 1120 pounds max on my truck.

Check your Id tag on you drivers door,if you have 6,000lb front gvw you should be ok

5,600lb springs you might need to beef it up alittle

The winch might have to go,at least for the winter

Also add some ballast to the rear to help out up front.
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2007
  9. Jt13speed

Jt13speed Senior Member

Nah if its an 04, it still has the 5200 lb front end...ford didn't offer 6000lbs until 2005. BUT, there are plenty of rigs on here that are similar setups of an 04' or older crew cab diesel long box with big heavy plows on them. If you arent plowing alot, or even if you are, any 8 or 8 1/2 footer will be fine on that truck. As long as you arent driving around for 4 months with 6, 300 lb people(because all professional plowers do this):dizzy: and the plow hangin on the truck constantly the weight will be OK. With as easy as plows are to take off these days, just pop it off after each storm. Take er' easy and maintain your truck and everything will be fine! good luck.
  10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Crew cab duallys need at least 8 1/2 foot blade
  11. stangman35

stangman35 Senior Member

Dont think his is a dually
  12. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Zorro....whose paying for the truck? Oh, you are? Okay, do whatever you want. its your truck. Put a 10' Muni on there if you so please. Its your truck.
  13. miracle

miracle Junior Member

I have a 99 F 350 Super cab diesel and I got a 9'2" boss v plow and it doesn't have any problem. There are just giving you a run around, there are procted there self. :gunsfiring:
  14. zorro7

zorro7 Junior Member

Thanks Guys. I've actually have a further problem that was answered in a past post regarding the fact that my truck has a 4" procomp lift on it. I didn't think it would be a problem but the local distributor here in Canada won't even sell me a plow for it. Oh well, I'll be getting mine from the US anyways and installing it myself with mods to keep it at a proper angle. I've got another question for you guys that I'm gonna start another thread for. Look for it in the plows thread. Thanks again.
  15. Pat M

Pat M Member

Zorro you can mount an 8', 8 1/2' heck even a 9' with the diesel and your 4" Pro Comp lift. I am running an 8' MM1 on my 03 6L diesel with 4" Pro Comp suspension and 35" tires. Haven't had any issues with my truck or plow setup so far but I am sure now that I said something there will be an issue as that is my luck.
  16. kuryssnow5

kuryssnow5 Member

the distributers are just going by the book to save there asses yea if you put a plow on a ford truck with the diesel and 4door it will go over the weight limit. try to look for a smaller dealer and they will let you do it i know about 4 friends that have the diesel with the 4door and have a plow on the front and som also have a v-plow so it can happen. or if your feeling up for it get the plow and install it your self. i alos know a company around my area they have 6 f-450 4 door diesel with a dump on the back of the truck so it can be done