1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

04 f350 battery cant keep up

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by gtmustang00, Feb 22, 2010.

1. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

During storms it seems like the battery cant keep up with the plow and the strobes. It happens on all the dump trucks (3 04 v10's) and not on the single wheel 5.4 trucks. What gives, problem still happens with new batteries, been happening since new. Is the solution to wire up 2 batteries? Where are you guys placing a 2nd battery?
  2. branr1

branr1 Member

Is there a larger Alternator available? What the difference in the Battery's and Charging systems on your V8 trucks?
  3. gtmustang00

from Berlin

i have been looking for larger alternators but can't seem to find them.
  4. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Make sure all the electrical connections are good and clean. Especially the grounds.
  6. mrv8outboard

mrv8outboard Senior Member

Did the truck get ordered with the plow prep package? The plow prep alternator has a higher amp rating. Check the one that is installed. I have seen some alternators charge at idle but drop out around 1100-2400 RPM's. So do check that as well.
  7. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 Senior Member

I bought mine from here http://www.dbelectrical.com/

I got the 220Amp alt, and have no complaints. I bought my starter there too

how old are your batteries?
  8. bigbadbrad

bigbadbrad Senior Member

i got the 220 for my powerstroke also, and i just got a new high torque starter in the mail have not had time to put it on yet, i had also ordered some other stuff from them. seems to be good so far, fast shipping. http://www.db-starter-alternator.com/

and as for your problem you need 2 batteries and upgrade your alternator to a larger one, espcially if your dumps are electric ove hydalic, that sucks some power.
  9. gtmustang00

from Berlin

We change out the battery's every 2 years, and the trucks have the plow prep package. Think we can get away with just changing out the alternator to a high amp one? Is anyone else having this issue with the v10?
  10. chasity2682

chasity2682 Member
    from canada

same kind of thing

I have the 2010 F350 V10 ext cab with the plow prep provisions and i find when i am using it for a while the lights start dimming really bad and the plow starts moving a little slower and I only have about 3500KM on it. I have'nt had it checked out but if I do I will let you know.
  11. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

A good automotive component rebuild shop can build up your stock alternator for about $1.50 an AMP. So it will fit in the same place.
    Use the search function on the Gray Line At the Top.
    Search: Charging, low power, duel batteries.
    It's an issue that's beat to death many times here. You will have hours of reading come up.
    It's a very common problem, most here has faced it at one time or another.
  12. snoway63

snoway63 Senior Member

I have a 05 F350 surpeduty with the v10 and i just have the lights dimming a little as Im raising or angling the plow and thats it but never drains the battery down bad, some say its normal but i dont really know
  13. damian

damian Senior Member

look up american armature they sell their own design high output alternators for emergency vehicles,hopped up stock alternators never last,not designed for the added heat of higher output.
  14. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

You definitely should be running at least two batteries. You can probably put the second battery in the engine compartment.
  15. mattbob18

mattbob18 Junior Member
    from Maine

Well i believe for ford you can put dual alternators? (I think?) If not there is many ways this problem can be fixed. Like what makes you think the battery's not keeping up, what is it doing?