1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

04 F250 Tranny problem???

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by ctmower, Dec 9, 2009.

1. ctmower

ctmower Member
    from CT

Was out plowing today and everything was going fine until i started doing my final house of the day.. Forward works fine in the truck, but when i put it in reverse it initially starts going backwards with power but then it will start sputtering like theres no power. The truck moves backwards but theres no power behind it going back.. Is my tranny on the way out??? Possibly low fluid? Check engin light came on and the overdrive light was flashing on and off. Truck is a 04 F250 with only 22,000 miles on it.. Would this be covered under warranty?? Thanks for any help

2. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

your out of warranty 3 or 36k whichever is first. blinking light on O/D meens trans has thrown a code, you autoparts store cant read codes off the trans you need a good scanner...keep us posted

3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

well........... gas or diesel ? auto or stick ? assume its auto. there is a recall on the auto trans for the reverse snap ring.

4. ctmower

ctmower Member
    from CT

04 gas- automatic.... Will be bringing it to my friends shop tomorrow morning to have him read the code.

5. ctmower

ctmower Member
    from CT

Just callled the stealership and they said 04's have 5 year or 100,000 mile warranty on the engine and transmission.

6. hotrodfeguy

hotrodfeguy Junior Member

Keep us posted, I was looking at a 04/F-250 with 34K on it. Want to know if this is a issue or not.

7. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

the dealership is wrong. gas has 3yr 36. diesel has 5yr/100k.. unless youve bought an extended warranty..i have the same truck...no recall on transmissions on 04s ive heard of...get on ford-trucks.com and find a guy by the name of mark kovalsky......hes a former ford auto trans engineer..he can tell you your problem if your inpatient enough lol! good luck

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  8. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Good one....:laughing:

Hope you resolve your problem and in a timely manner.

9. ctmower

ctmower Member
    from CT

Error codes 703 and 1702 if i remember correctly..... It ended up being a transmission sensor.. $100 part and im back on the road.
    And yes I did solve my problem in a timely manner rather then having to bring it to the "STEALERSHIP". If i went that route I would of had to have waited until next week to bring it in and then been charged a arm in a leg for things i didnt need!!!

10. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

nice! happy to hear you got your truck back on the road! best of luck this year!