1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

04 F250 needs info.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Tank, Nov 24, 2005.

1. Tank

Tank Junior Member

I am plowing for the first time this year. I thought I had all my bases covered but it has been brought to my attention that I might not! A fellow worker told me that since my truck does not have the plow prep package which I already knew since I put an extra leaf in the front, that I have to go buy a different chip so my air bag doesn't deploy. Is there any truth to this? To help you all out my truck is an XL the plain jane model. Thanx.

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

No, as long as you don't go plowing at 30mph and get in an accedent, you will be fine.

3. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

No, as far as I know, you don't need to worry about it. The reason being, the airbag sensor is located in your bumper. But your plow bolts on to the frame.

So, even if you hit something hard that NORMALLY would deploy your airbag, it shouldn't deploy since your frame is absorbing the hit. That's my understanding, but of course, I've been wrong before. But it would make sense.

On a similar note, I'm going to start turning off my passenger airbag while I plow just in case...I don't need both going off in an accident.

4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

A lot of the car Mfg have done a way with the remote sensors and are using a Central inertia sensor, it's basically a ball bearing on a magnetized T. You have to be, or are getting hit hard enough to knock it off it's perch, thus completing the circuit. It is a much simpler system that having wires running to all of the sensors.
    I wouldn't worry about it much as I'm sure others will tell you too.

5. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

I would check with your Ford Service supervisor for a correct answer.
    I know most of the guys here mean well and some have given the correct answer but to be sure check with ford.

6. nailerdog

nailerdog Member
    from WI

I've never heard of an airbag going off while hitting a normal pile or curb. Has anyone else?