1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

04 F-350 Psd 6.0

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Bad Luck, Oct 10, 2006.

1. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Reg. Cab Long Bed. Automatic. 74k miles. $23,000.

Came across this truck locally today and it caught my eye. It was used to haul a 5th wheel. It's an XLT, loaded with nerf bars and spray liner. Looks to be in great shape. Think I'm taking a chance with the miles if I bought it and put an 810 on it? It'd be a daily driver.

2. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I would trust that truck for a long time yet. If your considering purchasing it, check to see if the computers have been re-flashed at all. Don't think they should be. Also, put the VIN # on www.thedieselstop.com and let one of the guys run it and see if there has been any problems. I know I love my 6.0!

3. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

When I looked under the hood there was a sticker that said the PCM was flashed back in October of 2003. What does this mean?

4. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

That you should walk away. And get a 7.3 diesel.

5. JRKRACE

JRKRACE Senior Member

Run...don't just walk.

The only benefit on buying that truck would be that you can keep your Plowsite "name" the same.....:eek:

6. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Well a good thing to go by with the 6.0 is check the manufacture date. Don't buy anything made before April 2004 with a 6.0L engine. Mine was manufactured in June 2004 so no problems. Anything before April has the F'ed up 6.0L engine. You could always look for a 7.3 PSD or a nice Cummins or Duramax too.

7. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Thanks guys. Stopping to look at an 04 Duramax this afternoon.

8. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

What does it mean if the computer had been re-flashed. Just wondering.

9. I beg to differ on that statement. If you know much about the 6.0, I can name a ton of 05 and 06 trucks that are still having puking problems. Trust me, its not a matter of date, its just there are some bad ones out there. Just gotta kinda take a gamble. I've seen six o's with 300K on em and runnin fine. I've also seen some with 20K and gernaded. Luck of the draw, not build date....

10. M&M Services

M&M Services Senior Member
    from midwest

I know of atleast 5 6.0s running around with 150+ K on them pulling bobcat trailers and what not as every day chores, and they are doing fine...I have an 03, and not one problem...some have problems...but all of the manufacturers have problems....I know of a few duramaxs that have seen the shop more than a few times, i've seen a couple of allison transmissions blow up...same with the cummins....It sounds like a good truck, if you were to consider buying it, ask the dealer to run the OASIS report, that will tell you every time it was in for service and for what..And I think you could get it cheaper also....A lot of these trucks that end up failing comes from the owners...I.E. oil change intervals, and most of all modifications...
    When it says PCM reflashed it means the computer was reflashed with an update, some kind of emissions update to the truck etc...

11. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

I have an 03 6.0 and have had no problems. I also have 2 05 6.0's and no problems with either of those.

Are they the perfect flawless motor? No. But I challenge you to find one that is in any brand. The majority of this is Internet hype and bashing if you don't buy a potentialy good truck because of that then that's your loss.

12. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Personal question, if you are financing this vehicle then go to your lending institution and find out what the monthly payment is going to be. With all the 0% going on you might get a new one for almost the same payment. If the truck is out of warranty then you have to pay for the repair that day.

13. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

also it had a fifth wheel so probably those are some hard towing miles it has on it

14. cornbinder

cornbinder Senior Member

i 2nd that!!! i wouldn't hit a dog in the ass with a 6.0. before anybody tells me i don't know what i'm talking about....don't bother my dad is service manager at a ford dealership in a rural farm community and is littered with 6.0's. he just grimmaces when the 6.0 diesel is mentioned!!! nuff said. buy a 7.3 mine has 209,xxx miles and runs like new and only uses 1/2 quart of oil at the most between oil changes(every 3,000). later, pete

15. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

if it is a early 03 6.0 than you need to be a little cautious. same with the duramax, the early ones had injector problems so you probably should buy one either. dodge has a good engine with the cummins, as long as you dont get the dreaded 53 block that cracks. but the trannies are junk. so i guess go buy a cabin in the woods and just site there.
    all kidding aside all trucks have problems, especially a new model. yes the 6.0 had some problems that it should have had but unfortunately they will all have problems. if you go to any of the diesel sites you will see many people complaining about problems with all 3 of the trucks. remember that not many people post how good thier trucks are, its when they have problems that they go looking for answers and complain the most. :)

16. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees Member

Hey corn where do park the 6.0 when the number two problematic vehichle was just before it the 7.3. Yes number 1 and number 2 in the whole U.S. history. Just facts.

17. M&M Services

M&M Services Senior Member
    from midwest

the 7.3 is one HECK of a motor....look at most of these trucks that are breaking down..most of them ar modded trucks with a bunch of things done to them...There are plenty of 7.3s with 250k plus on them still working every day! T&T all you do is bash fords on this site, and on the lawn site...we run fords everyday and not one has been in the shop for anyhting other than routine maintenance...like I said I know of plenty of 6.0s from 03-07 that are towing bobcats, mini excavators, loaded with brick etc everyday day in and day out and they are running fine....
    To that I say good day and I will never own anyhting but a FORD!
    :drinkup:

18. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

I'm proud to be a "Ford-merican" LOL.

19. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Same here. I love my F250 more than any other truck I have owned. My F150 was great, never a problem. I beat the crap out of my Ranger, I mean beat the crap out of it and never had an issue. TnT has no life.

20. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees Member

Sorry M+M but the facts are there, how many extra parts do you carry with you to keep running?? Pcm,filters, sensors. These are all things FORD advised me to carry with me. Parts store or work truck??? 7.3 pulling bobcats does anyone check their egt's non- modded? 7.3, nice heavy duty automatic transmission with that. Next you will try to convince me that the f-150 and escape are safe vehichles. FORD could offer every discount under the sun I wouldn't endanger my family with one. A couple of ford engineers I had dinner with saturday said we might be having another recall on tires, Remember the firestone one?? Hope you saved your old ones. Hey first time I noticed you haven'even owned one so babble about nothing you know anything about, or experienced.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2006