1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

04 F-350 6.0 issues/questions

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by exmark1, Apr 10, 2011.

1. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I have a chance to buy a truck I really don't need but I think it could be bought cheap

It's a 2004 F-350 Crew Cab, Long Box, Loaded Lariat with every option for the year including a moonroof. The truck was a work truck with some dings, dents, dirty carpet etc... has the 6.0 Diesel and automatic transmission seems to run and drive great, 175000 miles on the truck. Was fleet maintained since new with synthetic fluids.

Also has a 8 1/2 foot Boss super duty straight blade with rubber wings on it, plow is faded and has spent it's life outside but works good and seems to be overall in good shape.

Is there any major issues to look out for on a higher milage 6.0 what would be a fair price for this truck? They are looking for offers on it... it's a construction company that doesn't have any idea on what they want out of it

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  2. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I can get the exact same truck, AZ clean (still in AZ), no plow with just over 200k for $9k (or less b/c I'm sure they'd take an offer) and it's an 06 if that helps. Same deal, fleet maintained, etc...

6.0's with miles are usually better than low mile'd ones. They're hard to predict, so really all you can check for is smoke or loss of power. 200k can have turbo, egr cooler, oil cooler, injector, and FICM issues if they weren't ever fixed or not fixed right the first time. I'd check the maintenance records if they have them. Hope this helps.

For an 03 and from a company like that, I wouldn't expect to pay more than $6-8k for that truck.

3. exmark1

I can get every service record since it was new from the company. I know they have done some of the injectors, and the transmission has been replaced.
    The truck was the owners personal truck until it had 90,000 miles then one of the foreman started driving it. It only plowed for touch ups as they use heavy equipment for most of it so it wasn't beat too hard..

4. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

In my experience that kind of plowing (cut work for loaders, tractors etc) is much harder on the truck when its always rushed to stay ahead of the loader and get all the backdragging done ahead of the loader, might not be the case with this truck just something to think about.

5. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Quite honestly, the harder they work, the better off the 6.0's are. And with my experience it's the opposite. The trucks are on easy street when the equpt is there.

6. exmark1

I think this truck has been driven easy, they have 2 plow trucks this one and a 5.4 super duty both are decent in condition, they don't do alot of plowing 6 or 8 smaller lots just to keep the equipment running in the winter. 1/2 of which are buildings that they own themselves. Hoping to get a feel for a price and make an offer tomarrow, like I said they have no idea what it's worth or what they want for it.

7. 20Silverado05

20Silverado05 Senior Member

Get me the VIN# I can run an oasis on it for you.

8. exmark1

Vin # 1FTSW31P54EA32049

9. exmark1

I bought the truck yesterday, ended up giving $5000.00 for it. Drove it all day today without an issue other than it's harder to park being a long box, crew cab.

10. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Congrats! Sounds like a great deal!

11. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

We have many of the 6.0's at my ambulance company. Run the cetaine booster in the fuel tank. We use the Ford stuff because we get a fleet price on parts and supplies. Maybe the part stores have it at a good price. Try to not idle it for long periods. This get's you EGR problems.If you get the engine icon pop up on the dash get it scanned ASAP. The 6.0 has issues that the first owners probably had fixed already. Our trucks get driven like we stole them, so if it has issues they will pop up!

12. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

damn for $5k you can't go wrong

13. exmark1

That's what I thought, I have never owned or wanted to own a 6.0 diesel. So I low balled the offer and they took it, I am planning to remove the EGR and do a few other things to it and hope it lasts a few years pulling mowers around

14. exmark1

The only picture that I have of the truck, with the temporary lettering before it gets tinted and lettered. The only other thing I plan to do is put on a tool box

IM002248.jpg

15. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I'd give you that $$ in a second for that truck!

16. mustangman02232

mustangman02232 Senior Member

flush out the coolant with restore and restore+, put a filter on, and start running CAT ELC coolant, if you delete the EGR you will get a CEL unless you have a way to reprogram the computer. I would spend the $150 at autozone on a scanguage to see if you need to do the oil cooler while its apart (no more then 15* between EOT and ECT)