1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

04 dodge ram 1500 after filling up

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by getsum, Jan 7, 2011.

1. getsum

getsum Senior Member
    from USA

iv got a 04 ram 1500 5.7 that stalls after new gas is put in... done dry gas, ran a tank of premium.. not sure what it is. it stalls (unless i keep the rpm's up) once in the first few min after. it only does it once. it runs perfect after.. :rolleyes: any ideas??

2. huskerfan523

huskerfan523 Member

Hmm no personal experience, but might be fuel filter? That's where I would start. Weird.

3. getsum

getsum Senior Member
    from USA

it is wierd. only stalls out once. runs perfect after. it only wants to stall for the first maby 3min after filling.... starts right back up... im stumped

4. damian

damian Senior Member

ive got two 05 dodge minivans that do exactly the same thing,after running low and topping right off,they either stall at the pump or go about 1/2 mi and stumble then clear up.no check engine light,no stored codes. i havent gotten around to diaging them yet but when i do i suspect an evap problem probably a purge valve or canister issue,mabe something with the leak detection pump system.when i find the answer ill let you know.my wifes caravan has beed doing it for a year and mine just started a month ago.

5. getsum

getsum Senior Member
    from USA

hey thanks! ya same here NO codes.. nothin.... almost like it was maid to do it hahahaha

6. 2robinhood

2robinhood Senior Member

If you fill it up with the truck running does it stall ?

7. getsum

getsum Senior Member
    from USA

iv tried both. it does it if i fill up when its running and if its off and i fill up when i go to take off or to a stop sign it dies.... wieeerd

8. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Fill up the truck and run the tank to low... Shut the truck off and R & R the fuel cap. Then try to restart the engine. If it stalls then it is a venting issue... Try first replacing the gas cap.

9. 2robinhood

2robinhood Senior Member

You are a smart cookie.:mechanic:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  10. Shortstuff

Shortstuff Member

That would be my first guess too - a new gas cap. I just replaced mine on my '04 2500 with a Hemi and it cost me $17.00 at the dealership. I have to recommend that you only use a replacement gas cap from the dealership as I have known more than a few that have continued to have issues until they replaced their cap with one from the dealership.

11. damian

damian Senior Member

its not the gas cap,it stalls while filling,gas cap off.im pretty sure it has something to do with gas bleeding through the nvld valve -the valve used to pull a vac on the tank and check evap leaks.this system is common and unique to mopars.i suspect when the fuel is overfilled up to the filler neck, the port in the tank that leads to the nvld pump takes a slug of gas and introduces it to the intake.when i get some time ill check it out and report.