1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

'04 Dodge 3/4 Ton plow prep

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by bigsky2500, Sep 23, 2004.

1. bigsky2500

bigsky2500 Junior Member

I just (in July) bought an '04 Dodge 2500 Quad cab diesel. I plan on outfitting the rig with a plow to clear my 2000' long driveway in the moutains. I didn't get the plow prep pkg, which according to Dodge consists of a skid plate, 750 amp battery and 160 amp alternator. The truck I have has the first two, but the alternator is 136 amp.

So, is the 160 amp necessary? If I don't have it, is the warranty void?

Here's where it gets interesting. I just got off the phone with the parts dept. where I bought the rig, and the guy said there is no 160 amp alt. in the parts catalog!

Can anyone sort this out for me?
  2. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

you can get buy with a 136 most of them have 100's in them
  3. bigsky2500

bigsky2500 Junior Member

Well, I just found out that the 160 amp is for the HEMI only. The deisels are already fully equipped.
  4. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

160 amp alt

I have a '04 RAM2500 ext cab w/ 8' Fisher. Being that it's a Hemi w/plow prep it came with the 160 amp. I still have power issues when its COLD out and I'm just starting out. The truck is a beast and I love it but when its 10 degrees and you fluids cold, everything slows down.
    On a side note, if you have a really good cold spell with lots of snow, keep an I on your emergency brake line. Mine got choked with snow and was pulling the brake on, thus I would smell hot brakes and grinding sounds. I didn't know what it was, I thought my rear-end was grinding out, but when I brought it to the dealer it had melted and they looked at me like I was crazy. Finally I figured it out. Just an FYI.
    Oh yeah, as far as warrenty, the nice thing about the 3/4 tons is the truck is ment for working, not like the 1/2 tons now. So something really odd would have to happen for them to not warrenty something.
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2004