Snow Plowing Forum banner

'04 Dodge 3/4 Ton plow prep

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Grn Mtn 
#1 ·
I just (in July) bought an '04 Dodge 2500 Quad cab diesel. I plan on outfitting the rig with a plow to clear my 2000' long driveway in the moutains. I didn't get the plow prep pkg, which according to Dodge consists of a skid plate, 750 amp battery and 160 amp alternator. The truck I have has the first two, but the alternator is 136 amp.

So, is the 160 amp necessary? If I don't have it, is the warranty void?

Here's where it gets interesting. I just got off the phone with the parts dept. where I bought the rig, and the guy said there is no 160 amp alt. in the parts catalog!

Can anyone sort this out for me?

#2 ·
you can get buy with a 136 most of them have 100's in them

#4 · (Edited)
160 amp alt

I have a '04 RAM2500 ext cab w/ 8' Fisher. Being that it's a Hemi w/plow prep it came with the 160 amp. I still have power issues when its COLD out and I'm just starting out. The truck is a beast and I love it but when its 10 degrees and you fluids cold, everything slows down.
On a side note, if you have a really good cold spell with lots of snow, keep an I on your emergency brake line. Mine got choked with snow and was pulling the brake on, thus I would smell hot brakes and grinding sounds. I didn't know what it was, I thought my rear-end was grinding out, but when I brought it to the dealer it had melted and they looked at me like I was crazy. Finally I figured it out. Just an FYI.
Oh yeah, as far as warrenty, the nice thing about the 3/4 tons is the truck is ment for working, not like the 1/2 tons now. So something really odd would have to happen for them to not warrenty something.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.