1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

04 Dodge 2500 power steering

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by sportfury70, Aug 31, 2011.

1. sportfury70

sportfury70 Junior Member

Hi guys. My truck seems to steer hard. I drove another 2500 with a plow on it and it would not turn without the truck moving. I don't want that problem, mine will have a plow on it this winter. Power steering reservoir is full. Anybody else have similiar problem? Thanks. Lewis
  2. Rece5.7

Rece5.7 Junior Member

Lewis, It should turn with or without the plow. the plow will add resistance. I had a steering box failure in my 2500 a couple years ago and had to replace the box, it had no power steering assist at all. Also be sure to check all ball joints and axle u-joints, any one of them stuck can cause it to be hard to steer. If you need ball joints be sure and do both uppper and lower while you have it apart, also I would recommend a greasable u-joint in the axle while it's apart for ball joints. If you use greasable ball joints (my recommendation) the lower ball joint grease zerk will not clear the axle, you have to grease it, remove the zerk and install a plug for clearance. kind of a pain but if you grease it a couple times per year you should be fine.
  3. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

4. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Does your Dodge have a Cummins? It's pretty heavy. Add another 800 to 1000 lbs with a plow and that is a lot of weight to be turning. You do not want to be turning the tires with your plow on when you are not moving anyway as it will really wear down a tire fast. I understand that that does not really answer your question, but with a diesel and a plow, that is just a lot of weight to be turning.
  5. sportfury70

sportfury70 Junior Member

Thanks for the replys guys. Truck is a 5.7 hemi. I mounted the plow today to transport. It will turn about halfway then stop as if it is at full lock. I will try the power steering flush. Dealer inspected the front end and claim they found no problems. (Open recall) I will keep you posted. Thanks. Lewis
  6. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Thats not normal. I had no issues with a 9'6" V plow hanging off the front of my 04 HEMI 2500. Truck could've cared less it was there.