1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

04 Dodge 1500 Hemi Overheating

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by 98&04dodge, Dec 13, 2005.

1. 98&04dodge

98&04dodge Junior Member
    from Canada

I've got an 04 Dodge 1500 Hemi with a lightweight SnoWay Plow. When driving any distance, the engine is sure to overheat, so much that I've got to pull over and let it cool or else it will bury the needle on the temp gauge.

The clutch fan hardly ever cuts in, and when it does its with a tremendoues roar and it cools the engine right away. Is thier a way to adjust when it cuts in ?

I've had it suggested that an engine oil cooler would help... though I'm thinking more along the lines of an auxillary electric fan in front of the rad. Any thoughts?

98 Dodge w/ 7.5' SnoWay
    04 Dodge hemi with 7.5' SnoWay
  2. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Sounds like you need a different fan clutch- on sno prerp equiped trucks the clutch is different (some were defective as such) maybe a possibility there- talk to your dealer about it. An aftermarket elec fan is an option,. but I would try to fix the problem first, if possible.
    Oil cooler- that has nothing to do with engine overheating, but a good idea for a standard addition anyway.
  3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

How high are you carrying the plow and how fast are you going?
    Try to carry the plow closer to the road. and possibly angel it a little
    to find the best spot that lets some air flow thought the radiator.
    And have that fan clutch cheeked, like Justme suggested.