1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

04 DMAX 3500 Tranny Question?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Mike S, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

Just got a 04 3500hd 4x4 Dmax with 40k on it. The Tranny runs a little to warm IMO. I was told by many people that the temp Im looking at is normal, just under 200. What would be a way to cool it down a little more, another cooler or mabey a bigger fan?

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Just under 200* trans temp is well within spec on the LB7's...but of course cooler is generally better.

Under what conditions does it run at that temp Mike? Loaded, working hard, or just normal around town driving?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
  3. musclecarboy

musclecarboy 2000 Club Member

I'll drive it HARD and tow 10k# and it won't get past 90*C (194*F). If you're pushing 225 or 250 then you have a serious issue.

4. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

There are larger tranny pans out for the Allison.

5. Mike S

The temp gets to 200 or mabey a bit over some times when I tow a small dozer D31 or a 10k CTL on a 4000 pound trailer. I know I might be doing a little too much but not any more than some of my friends. My one buddy tows 28,000 with his on a daily basis and has no problems but he has a 06. Either way the truck just driving around sits around 190+. Thoughts and suggestions?

6. salopez

salopez Senior Member

the o4 has a smaller tranny cooler then I would like. change the external filter and that should help. plus throw in some new fluid. that dropped mine back down to 175ish.

i have not gotton around to putting in a deeper pan yet. not sure if I want an allison or cast alluminum. I also plan on putting in a larger cooler at the same time. plus some amsoil.

7. Mike S

Stupid question, external filter?

8. salopez

salopez Senior Member

not stupid
    the allison has 2 filters. one reg internal, and an external spin on filter that is suposed to be changed every 25k miles. go to an international shop and get the filter for i think 12 bucks.

9. musclecarboy

musclecarboy 2000 Club Member

+1. It has the normal flat style one and the red "mini oil filter" type. Go to an int'l dealer, that's where they're the cheapest.

10. Mike S

Cool thanks I will try this!

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If 200 deg is the ceiling that it runs at even towing, don't be too concerned about it. The Allisons deal much better with elevated fluid temps than most transmissions. And they're actually designed to run at about 100 deg above the ambient outside temp (whatever it is).

Its actually the Dexron III fluid that it's filled with from GM that is the limiter as far as heat is concerned.

So if 200 deg does concern you, change the trans fluid over to Allisons approved Transynd and get a larger cooler. Inglewood Transmissions make a very nice bolt on cooler for these trucks that really brings the temp down. An Allison will run at 230* day in and day out (with Transynd fluid in it) and never not die of a heat related failure. :nod:

Change the external spin on filter at 15,000 mi religiously, don't run it any longer than that and it'll provide years of dependable service.

Don't bother with the extra capacity pan, it only slows the heat build up down since you added fluid capacity, it doesn't prevent it from building it.

Food for thought as well: it may not even be as warm as the gage is indicating...could be an inaccurate gage reading. Stock gages aren't the most accurate thing out there.

12. Mike S

Cool B&B I am going to do the fluid and filter swap this week!

13. sherwin

sherwin Member

Like stated an aftermarket cooler will be better than a deeper pan. Transynd is a great fluid, if you drain and fill, after the second change, allison says you can run the fluid to 50,000 mi. severe duty use. Dexron3 is 12,000 mi. severe duty. The transynd will help keep it a little cooler, but with it in there you don't really need to worry about the temp.