1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

04 dash cluster

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Moose's Mowing, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Moose's Mowing

Moose's Mowing Senior Member
    from SE PA

I have an 04 2500HD. The stupid guage cluster acts up a lot these days. Used to just be here and there, but now it will go a day or three without working at all, then like magic, everythings fine the next day. I was on a 4 hr trip the other weekend and running down the highway, all the gauges stopped working, then an hour later, they all came back to life.

when this happens, all of the gauges go out but the back lights still work and the odometer gives me little alien symbols or fuzzy square instead of the numbers. I did some reading on the interwebs last night and sems to be a real common problem for chevy trucks from 02 thru 07 or there abouts. I found out a few options: 1, replace the cluster with a reman. unit from ebay or somewhere else. 2. send the cluster away to a place called Dr. Spedometer to have it rebuilt for 200 bucks. 3. fight with a dealer to cover it under a recall. not gonna waste my time with option 3, not worth the cell phone minutes or my time. I also don't want to spend $ on this stupid thing if I don't have to.

so does anyone know of a backyard fix for this problem? I'm very mechanically inclined, but I'm also very cheap.

2. durafish

durafish PlowSite.com Addict
    from 02919

3. Greenstar lawn

Greenstar lawn Senior Member

Had this happen to me a few weeks ago and dealer wanted 900 bucks to put new cluster in. Took my cluster to the junkyard and they sent it out and had it back to me in 6 hrs. Everything works and even put a new plastic shield(old one was cracked) for $185.00. My cluster was easy to take out
    Mine was an 04 2500hd too

4. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

My 05 2500hd is squirly to. Speed and charge amps are always off the chart. Downloaded a speedometer app until I get around to it.

Hmmm. When I think about it a couple years ago I had to send my 03 out to be rewound also.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  5. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

GM has a special policy on these (some tucks) and they're covered for 7/70 if I remember right. The dealer will usually help you out or cover the repair even if you're past the coverage.

6. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

It's the stepper motors that control the gages.My 04 was replaced under warranty. google dash cluster repair and you'll find repair shops that will repair for a hundred$ or so.If your good at soldering you can buy motors on ebay.Common problem.

7. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

You Jinxed me, LOL my tranny temp gauge started acted goofy today. I have been threatening to change the stepper motors in mine for a while as the speedometer acts up at times now i think i'll just change them all and be done with it.

8. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

It was a recall on that year. I had mine replaced at dealer for free in my 04.