1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

04 Dakota - going from 265 to 245 tires. Any issues?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by 4Driver4, Mar 10, 2010.

1. 4Driver4

4Driver4 Junior Member

So I just picked up my "new" 2004 Dakota 4.7 five speed. It has the optional 265/70/16 tires, which are well worn... to put it mildly. I want to go a bit narrower for plowing and for fuel economy. 265 looks cool, but beyond that I see little value. I've seen recommendations to go 245, and I'm thinking of going 245/75/16 to keep the sidewall height as close as possible to what is on there now. Good so far, right?

I called the local tire shop, and they all but refused to install anything but the factory size. Instead of a price quote, I got a lecture on the dangers of going to a smaller tire. This morphed to a lecture on plowing with a vehicle that was not equipped with the factory plow package.

Regardless, anyone experience any issues dropping to a 245? Too narrow for the rim? What is the stock wheel width?

TIA

Tom

2. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Stock wheel should be 16x8, 245 would be close on that rim but shouldn't be a big issue.

3. snowfighter75

snowfighter75 Senior Member

I run the 265 in summer and 245 in winter for plowing. You won't have a problem. I haven't had any issues. All the best!!

4. 4Driver4

4Driver4 Junior Member

Thanks, guys.

My old Audi had 16 x 8 wheels and it came from the factory with 225/50/16's, so I concur that a 245 should be fine.

Snowfighter, what series are you running? 70 or 75?

5. snowfighter75

snowfighter75 Senior Member

70 in summer and 75 in winter.

6. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

You won't have a problem, I went from 305/70/16's to 245/70/16's

7. 4Driver4

4Driver4 Junior Member

Wow! 305 is a *lot* of tire.

How do you know how fast you are going? - LOL Holy speedometer fluxuation, Batman. My recollections on Maine are that the troopers enforce the limit pretty tightly up there.

I guess I'm too anal to put up with the speedo being off more than a few MPH.

Tom

8. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Umm I just went as fast as everyone else. I eventually put a superchips on it which allowed a tire calibration change.