1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

04 cummins no start

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by yearground, Nov 20, 2009.

1. yearground

yearground Member
    from muskoka

04 cummins no codes but will not start without ether. Once runnning, goes forever. Turn it off...no start. Suggestions???
  2. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

How are your batteries? Is it turning over with full power......for sure? Even slightly weak batts will cause no start conditions, even on newer diesels.
  3. yearground

yearground Member
    from muskoka

New batteries. Has happened on mine and a buds 04. Dealer baffled, new crank sensor.
  4. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

How many miles?? Cold weather?? Any mods?
  5. bh115577

bh115577 Senior Member

My 2000 would crank over fine but would not start. Never tried ether though. Turned out to be the crank sensor.
  6. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

lift pump ever been replaced? check for fuel pressure before your cp3, some have a lift pump in the tank some have it under the fuel filter. i would not use either on that truck.
    also if you got the tools check for rail pressure.
  7. yearground

yearground Member
    from muskoka

Cranks fine, runs great, will not start even hot has been for 2 years. fuel pump changed to in tank fuel pressure within spec. no smoke or fuel smell its like injectors don't get turn on signal

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Think it could be the lift pump. When you turn the key to on listen for a buzz from the tank. If you cannot hear anything check for fuel pressure before and at the filter. The shot of starter fluid may be enough to get the system running by letting the injector pump suck from the tank, get it fixed before you burn up the pump !!!

DODGE-BOY Senior Member
    from OHIO

If its rusty from being a salt truck, you could have a pin hole in fuel line that sucks air and causes it to lose its prime. Had that on a 94 Cummins. Never used ether. Had to put air to fuel tank to pressurize it or push fuel up. Hit the key then and it fired right up. Pulled tank, replaced fuel lines. Worked great after that.
  10. 2003ctd

2003ctd Senior Member

Does it only do this when its cold outside (like 32 or below) ? My 2003 did the same exact thing, banged my head against the wall for months trying to figure it out, it ended up being the fuel pre heater.... Ice cold fuel was entering the system and the truck would not fire.
  11. stillen

stillen Senior Member

12. big schmitty

big schmitty Member

Same thing happened to me and it was a cracked injector body. If the ecm does not see a certain rail pressure if will not start. Either is the only way it will fire. If this is your problem don't drive it to much because it could melt a piston.

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

pull the fuel filter, let the fuel in the filter cup settle and see if any water is in the bottom, it will look like an air pocket at the bottom.

how much diesel in the tank when you have this problem?

No codes? it would have to say something after you finally got it started... try the on off on off on and see if there are any codes in the dask.
  14. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Wouldnt an 03 have a "water in fuel" light? It would be easier to drain the fuel filter canister. Should be a little yellow valve deal on the bottom.
  15. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

with a craked injector body wouldnt there be diesel fuel in the oil? when you crank the truck over have a buddy crack an injector line to see if you are getting fuel to the injectors. still need to test rail pressure to further diagonse it, i think your rail pressure is weak and something is senseing that and not letting your truck start.

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

I was just thinking with no codes, perhaps no lights were showing either and buy pulling the filter you could see for sure. I had a similar problem last week, but my filter was junk, soon as I pulled it truck started.
  17. 04f250fisher

04f250fisher Senior Member

The truck needs around 6000psi to the injectors to start.
  18. big schmitty

big schmitty Member

I had no fuel in my oil with the cracked body. It was bleeding pressure off bad enough for the computer not to be able to see the required pressure to start.
  19. leepotter

leepotter Senior Member

Either is a no no
  20. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

While I don't know the start-up figures, that seems very low seeing as the normal rail pressure for these CR engines is around 23ksi.